Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why & Where
Twilio is growing rapidly & seeking an Engineering Manager to be a key member of our Marketing Applications Platform Engineering team. Youll work with a passionate, versatile, & collaborative team, tackling tough problems as we continue to develop an intuitive product that allows our customers to build, manage, & send their digital marketing communications. Additionally, you will also help us deliver solutions & build processes for a number of mission-critical systems, ensuring that Twilio is the leader in trusted communications.
As an Engineering Manager you will lead by guiding engineering teams tackling tough problems as we continue to push our technology forward. To take it to scale, you will oversee a complex distributed platform & will be concerned with availability, throughput, & latency by leveraging data to assess business performance & deliver actionable insights to improve efficiency & increase productivity. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, collaborate effectively, be able to mentor junior engineers & operate highly resilient services.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic.. They also have:
- 7+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of experience & education
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in an engineering management role
- Demonstrated experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring junior engineers, & teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- Communication skills that leverage empathy & compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, & provide feedback to your team.
- Strong product & architectural vision & a demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, advocate, & execute on that vision.
- Ability to oversee the design & operation of complex components & large-scale systems
- Success at participating in cross-functional teams; naturally collaborative but decisive when needed
- Track record in building & sustaining high-performance teams
- Ability to manage multiple projects, teams, & schedules in a rapid-growth environment, to coordinate successful/timely releases & achieve quality objectives
- Strong influential & persuasion skills to manage Right vs Right Now engineering decisions
- Excellent written & oral communication skills enabling you to articulate complex, technical material to a non-technical audience
- Ability to lead through change effectively
- Experience working Marketing Technology Platforms (bonus)
As a Manager, Software Engineering, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER:Lead & grow a team of passionate engineers. Provide support & guidance that enables the team to self-organize & to achieve sustained high velocity & predictability.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Manage employee career development by providing coaching & mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives & provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- DONT SETTLE:Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected & supportable code.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects & other business stakeholders to ensure the team has clear direction & priorities.
- WRITE IT DOWN & RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Work in conjunction with our Agile Program Management team in breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders & dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- BE BOLD: As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles & behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting & motivating top talent.
As a member of the Marketing Applications Platform team, you will be directly responsible for helping build our next-gen marketing communications products. With a constant focus on our users, we hope to deliver a new set of tools that will disrupt the marketing SAAS industry. You will get a chance to design & implement solutions that will provide marketers & developers alike with the tools they need to create personalized communication experiences for their customers. Twilio adds in the complexities of scale & distributed systems to keep things interesting & seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world & we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits & perks to support the physical, financial, & emotional well being of you & your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work & be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video & email by virtualizing the worlds communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the worlds most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developers toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry from emerging leaders to the worlds largest organizations to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.