Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates economic transformation for high-need, high-potential individuals through our technical training programs. We are not just another coding boot camp. We are a mission-driven organization that goes beyond technical instruction to offer coaching, career development, & employer partnerships that help our Fellows secure high-paying software engineering jobs & thrive in their new careers.
We are One Big Team
The passionate & collaborative team at Pursuit gives its all to achieve our mission. And its not just staff. We work with employer partners that love hiring our Fellows because they are so well prepared, ranging from big financial firms to scrappy startups, & everything in between. We also activate & engage hundreds of volunteers that come from all areas of the tech industry. These experts & professionals help keep our curriculum fresh & our standards for achievement high by participating in our admissions process, as well as program-specific activities such as interview training, DemoDays, Hackathons, & Capstone projects.
We are expanding our programs to reach even more individuals from low-income backgrounds, & we need Instructors to train them. Our instructional staff play a vital role in Pursuits mission by teaching our Fellows the technical & coding skills necessary for their future as software engineers. The Pursuit program is a year long, & now operating fully remote in order to provide greater access to potential Fellows in the wider NYC metropolitan area.
As an Instructor you will:
- Share your knowledge & love of technology with a class of adult learners by leading technical instruction via lectures, activity-based learning workshops, code reviews, & projects.
- Youll receive support from Instructional Associates (IA) & guide their development as instructional professionals.
- You will work with our existing robust curriculum created by our in-house team. Instructors at Pursuit are encouraged to contribute feedback, ideas, improvements, activities & assets to our curriculum.
- Create a positive & professional learning environment, fostering a community that goes beyond the classroom.
- Participate in weekly meetings with the larger program team to track cohort progress through our technical curriculum.
- Empower Fellows to learn how to create websites & software, leveraging different technologies & coding languages, & instilling a love of learning new tech stacks, which they will need to continue doing in their careers.
What you need to be considered for an Instructor role:
- 3+ years experience teaching web development, preferably to adult learners OR 3+ years in an engineering team lead role, where you played a role coaching junior team members
- Ability to coach & mentor with empathy, while holding Fellows accountable for their own development
- Computer Science degree preferred
- BPSS Certification is a bonus
Where youll work:
- Virtually but you must be located in the United States
- Hybrid - from our office space in Long Island City, NY, NY
When youll work:
- 4 day work week!
- Sunday 9:00 - 6:00 ET, Monday - Wednesday 1:00 - 10:00pm ET
- Great culture where transparency, respect, teamwork, & kindness are valued
- Data-driven curriculum & teaching methods that we always strive to improve
- Excellent curriculum team that collaborates with instructors
- Full-time employment with a program structure designed to give Instructors much-needed time off in between cohortsi.e. theres no need to re-sign contracts or worry when a new cohort will start
- Opportunities to grow your dev skills by creating & contributing to internal applications & tools
- Managers who are trained engineers & educators, & who understand what technical instructors need to grow & thrive
- Competitive compensation in base, plus bonus & a full benefits package
- Unlimited PTO & an all-Pursuit week-long holiday the last week of December
Pursuit values diversity:
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds & experiences, & we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives & affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.