Thrillist is seeking an organized, driven, & creative Local Editor, New York to join our team in covering restaurants, bars, & cool things to do in New York. Youll delve deeply into the unique character, neighborhoods, events, people, & food scenes, giving our readers credible recommendations. Our goal is to give locals the intel & inspiration they need to eat better & have more fun in their own cities, while also helping travelers make the most of their time when theyre in a new place.
Were looking for someone with a strong background in food, drink, & city coverage preferably based in New York who can help focus our coverage in NY with a particular focus on eating & drinking. This position demands a nimble editor who can quickly turn around clean copy infused with humor, personality, & rock-solid reporting. Youll work with (and recruit) a large roster of freelance writers to stay on top of whats happening in your city, & create fresh, serviceable stories that get to the heart of what a place is all about.
Knowledge in SEO, & the ability to provide writers with clear assignments & sharp feedback, are an absolute must. This editor will juggle many stories & priorities simultaneously, so constant attention to organization & deadlines is also essential.
A typical week looks like:
- Brainstorm, assign & edit actionable service stories that represent our brand & drive our audience to have more fun in the cities around them.
- Develop a strong network of writers & sources in your cities & coverage areas, & constantly work to recruit new writers & experts.
- Maintain weekly, monthly, & annual editorial calendars & ensure deadlines are being met.
- Use data insights & analytics to better understand our audience & apply those insights to inform future story ideas & execution.
- Develop a deep knowledge & expertise in the places you cover, understanding what makes each city unique, & what changes are taking place there.
- Be a regular, active partner with Thrillists distribution, video, & design teams to ensure every story is supported visually & promoted effectively.
The next great Staff Editor looks like:
- 3+ years of editorial experience in digital media, including at least one year of experience as an editor.
- Strong writing skills.
- The ability to multi-task, balance priorities, & meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of whats trending in food & restaurants, & an understanding of the food media landscape & how we can carve out unique spaces in it.
- Strong understanding of how content is consumed & distributed online & via social & search platforms, with a particular emphasis on SEO.
- Good communicator both to members of your own team, to representatives of other departments, & to freelance writers.
- Knowledge of digital media landscape, & where your coverage fits into that competitive field.
We have amazing people.We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We value development.We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
We care about you.We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, & federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future.We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity & inclusivity.Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, & tea.Who needs anything else?
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nines mission is to tell great stories that spark action & make a real difference. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, July 2019], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 70% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen, July 2019]. Audiences spend nearly 50 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched mobile news brand in the world; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand on digital; POPSUGAR, the leading digital lifestyle brand for women; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand in the U.S. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lion, Critics Choice, among others.