IDEO.org is a nonprofit design studio on a mission to design a more just & equitable world. We partner with nonprofit organizations, foundations, & governments to design programs, products, & services focused on improving health, economic mobility, & wellbeing.
Were currently looking for an Interaction Design Lead to join our New York studio. As part of a multi-disciplinary design team, youll work hand-in-hand with our partner organizations & the communities they serve across the U.S. & around the worldidentifying opportunities for design, imagining new possibilities, & bringing those ideas to life through engaging digital experiences.
Our ideal candidate has experience in the full life cycle of digital designfrom concept to prototyping to execution, & a healthy dose of curiosity. Part researcher, part strategist, & part maker, in this role you might be sketching wireframes for a new digital service one day, hosting a co-design workshop the next, & wrapping up the week building scrappy digital prototypes to test in the real world.
You may have built your career as a UX designer, creative coder, digital media artist, or software designer, but by now youre comfortable flexing your skills in a number of ways, & leading teams through the design process.
Inspire great design (and get your hands dirty)
- Create digital solutions that address a range of challenges, translating user needs & real world constraint into elegant, effective digital experiences
- Create prototypes of different levels of fidelity to help determine design direction for a project.
- Construct information architecture, interaction models, customer flows, schematics, & visual design that bring new ideas to life
- Champion design excellence within the realm of digital designilluminating the difference between good & great work, & helping teams get there
- Bring interaction & digital inspiration into the organization, inspiring peers & partner organizations to imagine new possibilities
- Be solution-focused & medium-agnostic, willing to step out of your core skill set or discipline to find the correct solution to a challenge.
Lead design projects
- Lead multidisciplinary teams through the design processfrom research & prototyping through execution & implementation
- Instill confidence in the design process among our partner organizations, & ensure they are equipped to steward the solutions we design to market
- Co-design measurement, learning, & optimization strategies with partners that will enable them to optimize solutions for long-term success
Support & mentor others
- Flex your collaboration skillsworking with designers of all disciplines on projects
- Support designers to infuse their passions into projects & learn new skills.
- Be collaborative & contribute to healthy team motivation & morale, offering emotional & logistical support.
- Contribute to IDEO.org studio culture.
- 5+ years of professional experience in a design consultancy, agency, or other environment where youve worked on multidisciplinary design teams
- Fluency in a solid set of UX/UI tools, including FIgma, Invision, & Adobe Suite, & the ability to convey concepts through wireframes, flows, storyboards, & mockups
- A diverse portfolio showing a passion for experimentation in different mediums.
- Experience working at the intersection of social innovation, business & interaction design
- A passion for what design & innovation can do to improve the lives of real people
- Experience managing client or partner relationships
- Adept at synthesizing data, distilling complexity, & storytelling.
- Fluency in the human-centered design process from qualitative research & synthesis to ideation, prototyping, & implementation.
- Willing & able to travel internationally ~30% of the time (once weve determined as a community that its safe to travel again).
- Cultural sensitivity, creativity, & resourcefulness
- A thoughtful, yet playful approach to leading creative process & teams.
- Spanish language fluency a plus.
Commitment to Diversity
At IDEO.org, we are committed to the work of advancing diversity, equity & inclusion within our organization & in the world. Our purpose of having disproportionate, world-changing impact through design is directly connected to our ability to bring many different perspectives to the table. This applies to our candidates, the people we hire, the clients & customers we serve, & the communities we co-create with.
As a human-centered organization, we are committed to working with & designing for people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, physical ability or attribute, religion, national origin, or political belief. We recognize that this commitment requires ongoing work & sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights & best practices.