Walmarts Store No 8 is an innovation hub formed by the worlds largest retailer focuses on identifying & investing in trends & technologies reshaping the shopping experience. It's mission is to create step change in-store experiences, leveraging emerging technology to help define & deliver on evolving customer expectations. Its success requires a cross-functional, mission-based team that is highly entrepreneurial, collaborative & passionate about solving the unsolved problems.
We are looking for an exceptionalSeniorSoftwareEngineerto helpdesign,buildand run thebusinessdataplatformthat powersstreamingdatagenerated byafast-movinglandscape. This team places an emphasis on producing robust, scalable, self-service solutions that enable Engineers & Analysts to perform complex streaming transformations across a wide array of use cases to power insights, decisions, & machine learning within theIntelligent Retail Labecosystem.
About the Role
This role will be responsible for utilizing industry best technologies & practices to enable analysis, intelligence, & processing of some of the largest datasets atIntelligent Retail Labin near-real-time. As a Senior Software Engineer, this role will be counted on to have a deep understanding of technology internals in order to tune & troubleshoot individual jobs, as well as a high-level understanding of the landscape to drive value adding features to the platform.This rolewould take on the following responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Product Owners & Team Leads to identify, design, & implement new features to support the growing real time data needs ofIntelligent Retail Lab
- Assist & mentor Junior Engineers in troubleshooting & tuning of high volume, distributed applications.
- Identify & suggest or implement remediation of cases where we diverge from industry best practices
- Evangelizeand practicean extremely high standard of code quality, system reliability, & performanceto ensure SLAs are metfor uptime, data freshness, data correctness, & quality
- Display sense of ownership over assigned work, requiring minimal direction & driving to completion in a sometimes fuzzy & uncharted environment
- Focus on enabling developers & analysts through self-service & automated tooling, rather than manual requests & acting as a gatekeeper
- Participate in on-call rotation, including continuously seeking to reduce noise, improve monitoring coverage, & improve quality-of-life for on-call engineers
- 3-5 years experience in running, usingand troubleshootingindustry standard data technologies such as Spark, HDFS, Cassandra, Kafka
- Deepdevelopmentexperience, ideally ina typed languagebut we are open to other experience if youre willing to learn the languages we use
- Experience processing large amounts of structured & unstructured datain streaming & batch.
- Experience with integrating with Business Insights tooling, ideally Power BI from Microsoft
- Experiencewith cloud infrastructure. We use Azure, specifically, but any will do
- A focus on automation & providing leverage-based solutions to enable sustainable & scalable growth in an ever-changing ecosystem.
- Experience building & maintaining a centralized platform or services, to be consumed by other teams, is ideal, but not necessary
- A passion for Operational Excellence & SRE/DevOps mindset, including an eye for monitoring, alerting, self-healing, & automation
- Experiencein an Agile environment,abletomanage scopeand iterate quickly to consistently deliver value to the customer