Common is the nations leading residential brand & operating platform that designs, leases, & manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design & tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, & traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. With over 17,500 units signed & under development & over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, & Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Design Manager to join our Studio Team to develop housing for shared living. We are looking for a proactive individual who has extensive project management experience in the multi-family residential sector. Design Managers will be responsible for managing multiple large projects with institutional clients. Since Common is not the Architect of Record for our homes, they will act as a consultant to provide guidance & assistance to the client to ensure compliance with Common brand standards through schematic programming layouts, participation of meetings, coordination with the architect of record, & review of design submissions.
- Be the primary point of contact for multiple clients across multiple projects, manage expectations & ensure satisfaction with institutional clients
- Ability to lead conversations & make presentations to our clients. Good salesmanship is required.
- Advise clients on building an attractive & marketable real estate product, high-density living & brand standards.
- Have a deep understanding of project contract, scope, deliverables & budget
- Establish & maintain project schedule (including architectural & interior design deliverables), track progress against budget & scope
- Establish & maintain staffing plans for both architecture & interior design team
- Foster cross discipline communication with internal operations, real estate & marketing teams for a successful home delivery & opening
Internal Team Management
- Mentor & coach architectural designers on technical knowledge & design.
- Bringing in new business through presentations, pitches, & negotiations
- Assist Studio Leadership with scoping, fee determination, & drafting proposals & contracts
- Work closely with the internal Real Estate team to design & analyze homes in our pipeline. This includes conducting testfits & feasibility studies in parallel with a financial pro forma across a wide array of housing typologies.
- Work closely with other teams for feedback data to optimize our designs & verbally & visually communicate ideas through diagramming & illustrations to fold architectural thinking into our brand.
This is an excellent opportunity to join an exciting start up at an early stage, as your work will have a meaningful & significant impact on both the member experience & the formation of future processes at Common. The ideal candidate is someone looking for a less traditional career path, & instead act as a hybrid between a real estate developer, a conceptual housing investigator, & an architect.
- Masters Degree in Architecture preferred
- 2+ Years of project management experience required, specifically a firm grasp of both the creation & maintenance of project contracts, scope, deliverables & budget.
- 5+ Years of professional experience in residential design is required & portfolio must demonstrate experience or thinking in housing or residential design
- 8+ Years of experience in an architecture firm required
- Great presentation skills, business development experience, & excellent salesmanship are required
- Professional experience with US city approvals (code or zoning) required
- Eye for interior design & finishes preferred
- Proficiency in Revit, Bluebeam, Microsoft Project (or other Gantt Chart organization software), Autocad, Adobe Creative Suite required
- Candidate must be detail-oriented & comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative & analytical reasoning
- Candidate must be very organized & be able to multitask across large number of projects with various deadlines
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing & implementing best practices
- Candidate must be a direct & proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation & sick time
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, & ordinances.