Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building high performing teams that operate at scale
We are looking for a technical leader who will drive engineering excellence across all major components of our current & future Storage offerings. You will have strong ownership over new & existing systems, guiding multiple teams through all phases of software development, including product definition, implementation, operations & scaling. Youll guide your team of managers as they execute, coaching & directing them to new levels of excellence. Your work will have a direct impact on real DO customers.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Working in close partnership with Product Management, Design & other core product directors (Compute & Networking) to deliver storage-related software services.
- Develop quarterly goals & objectives that help keep your teams aligned with the vision & higher-level company goals.
- Make large prioritization decisions, & tradeoffs between schedule, scope, cost
- Attract, develop & retain the people required to deliver your plan.
- Actively coach & develop the managers & technical leaders within your organization, & create a healthy culture that supports delivery over the long term
- Command the economics tied to your organization. This includes ROI considerations, revenue impact, margins, opex & capex budgets.
- Actively participate in the yearly & quarterly budget process & make strategic & tactical decisions to manage to these budgets
- Be an open communicator within DigitalOcean in both written & spoken form. Routinely present at company AMAs.
- As a director you will be expected to drive a company initiative that does not fit nicely in a box, or has impact beyond your immediate organization
What We'll Expect From You:
- Significant experience managing software development teams & shipping software-based products or services, a big plus to Storage-related products.
- Experience with building & leading teams with an emphasis on scaling them to meet the demands of a rapidly growing business
- Direct experience building scalable infrastructure software and/or distributed systems
- Strong analytic & quantitative analysis skills
- Strong communications skills with the ability to prioritize well & understand how to drive a high level of focus & excellence through a strong, talented & motivated team
- Sound business judgment, with a proven ability to influence others & drive consensus
- A strong sense of ownership, urgency, & drive
- A good systems thinker, who understands complex organisations, systems & how to work effectively in a complex environment.
- Enough architecture & engineering chops to hold your teams to high standards.
- A good cross functional collaborator.
- An effective communicator in written & spoken forms.
- A leader comfortable with build, buy, partner decisions.
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!