BuzzFeed's copy department is seeking a full-timeinternto join the team in our Los Angeles office. We're looking for a self-professed word nerd who has a comprehensive knowledge of & passion for grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, & all-around proper use of the English language. The responsibilities for this job include copyediting BuzzFeed News posts & videos, as well as regularly communicating with editors to maintain consistency & house style across the site. (Note: This is not a writing job.)
Our ideal candidate is someone who has strong copyediting skills, is incensed by the misuse of homophones, is both a news junkie & pop-culture enthusiast, & knows how to edit copy for accuracy & consistency without losing tone or voice. Are you a fan of the serial comma? Can you spot a typo with your eyes half-closed? Are you simply going to lose it the next time someone fails to capitalize Is in a title?!
This is a paidinternship based in our New York office, & candidates will be asked to complete a copy test prior to being interviewed. We are looking to hire someone who can start as soon as possible.
- Copyedit BuzzFeed posts, new video copy, app notifications, & display copy as needed for spelling, grammar, punctuation, style, andconsistency
- Update & implement the BuzzFeed Style Guide, including growing its social media presence
- Monitor BuzzFeed for style & make corrections as necessary
- Strong copyediting skills
- Demonstrated passion for words, language, & grammar
- Familiarity with AP & Chicago style guides
- Relentless attention to detail while comfortable multitasking in fast-moving news environments.
- Previous experience copyediting in an editorial role at a school publication or otherinternshipat a website, magazine, or newspaper
- A positive, curious, playful disposition
Candidates should apply through the form below & please include the following:
- Your rsum
- A cover letter that explains why you'd be perfect for the job
- Your Twitter handle, Tumblr, or any other social media page that you think we should see
Life at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed strongly believes that the more diverse our team, the better our work will be. BuzzFeed is committed to equal opportunity employment & celebrates inclusion in all circumstances. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
Opportunities for growth & development via work experience & offerings from our in-house Learning Team
Employee resource groups, frequent in-office events, volunteer opportunities, & more
An attractive compensation package, including salary & equity
A generous & well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO & unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more
No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA & NYC!
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media & tech company delivering news & entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world & more than 1500 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, & more. We value a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, & hard work (fused with fun). At BuzzFeed, youll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools & create content that helps connect people all over the world.