What we want you for
We are changing how health insurance works. We want to create a healthcare experience thats intuitive & puts people, not cost or workflows, first. Were using a consumer-focused & tech-driven approach to do so. This positions us uniquely in the space - & creates one of the biggest opportunities in healthcare.
We brought together leaders from top technology, service & healthcare companies to deliver on our promise & seize this opportunity. We all work side by side in a collaborative, energetic, & creative environment. The result: better people, better ideas, & better healthcare.
In this role, you will join our tight-knit finance team & work directly with the Manager of Financial Reporting & the Assistant Controller. You will own pieces of our financial reporting that enables our innovative financial model to succeed as we grow. We understand & value technology, so this can become a powerful part of your tool kit.
What is this position?
This position is responsible for assisting in the improvement of the Statutory & GAAP financial reporting process. This includes working with the Manager of Financial Reporting to build out robust reporting schedules for complex statutory exhibits, to introduce iterations on partnerships with the actuarial team & to develop a best in class reporting process as Oscar grows. Consistent with our business plan, the position has a strong opportunity to expand responsibilities.
In the first three months you will:
- Prepare complex exhibits in the NAIC annual report
- Be the first reviewer on all exhibits of the NAIC Quarterly report that have been prepared by the Staff Accountant.
- Aid in the GAAP reporting process for FY 2018
- Help with annual audit coordination
- Partner with other accounting team members to identify synergies with the reporting team.
On an ongoing basis you will:
- Continuously challenge current practices & procedures, as the business evolves, to implement improvements in procedures, processes & systems.
- Assist in Ad Hoc projects that match your interests & may include:
- Better integration with our GL system Netsuite
- Improved Tax accounting & compliance
- Financial Statement analytics
- Drafting accounting memos
- RBC reporting & improvement
- Identify areas in accounting for operational efficiency & partner with our technology team to develop better smarter processes.
Who are you?
You are someone with insurance industry experience in financial reporting who wants to be involved in the holistic reporting process. You have ideas on how reporting should operate within the insurance business. You are a detail oriented accounting professional who thrives in a fast paced startup environment, who is not afraid to speak up, who thinks with the big picture in mind, but appreciates the importance of details.
What are your qualifications?
- You must have 2-3 years experience working on the NAIC statutory blanks (can be Health, Life, or P&C)
- You must have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field (CPA, MBA, or MA strongly preferred)
What will make you a stronger candidate for this role?
- You have worked with our current platforms (Netsuite, Concur, Bill.com, Taplti, Workday Payroll)
- You have experience working with SQL
- You have experience working with Medicare Advantage lines of business
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background & perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.