Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our growing team of 400+ is passionate about our mission to make peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, with hubs in Philadelphia & D.C, & offer in-office, hybrid, & remote working based on role & location.
About the Role:
As a Strategy Manager, you will work alongside the leadership of Betterment to shape the direction of the company as our growth accelerates. In this role, you will have a 360-degree view of how the company operates, from both a high-level strategic viewpoint & a tactical operational lens. Reporting to the Chief of Staff & Head of Strategy, you will support our strategic planning efforts & take on high-value project-based work, partnering with key stakeholders across the company. This high visibility role will have a significant impact across the organization.
We are looking to hire this role based in our NYC office location, where we offer hybrid working conditions.
A Day in the Life:
- Become a core figure in strategic planning, including supporting the creation of presentation materials for quarterly Board of Directors meetings & company-wide communications
- Dive into complex concepts & own projects from inception to actualization you may work on business cases, research new products, or operationalize/project manage a key initiative
- Remain apprised of of industry trends, innovations, & best practices, serving as the go-to expert for understanding the competitive landscape surrounding Betterment
- Conduct internal & external research & analysis, & translate your findings into insights & recommendations to present to key stakeholders
- Help build strategic consensus within the executive team on which opportunities to prioritize & pursue
- Collaborate with & serve as a thought partner to business & product leadership
What Were Looking For:
- Experience in fintech or financial services and/or management consulting
- Excellent problem solving skills, bringing qualitative & quantitative structure to opportunities
- Experience structuring, owning & leading large-scale initiatives
- Strong story-telling skills & the written / verbal / Google slides chops to back it up
- Solid analytical prowess, including background in financial analysis or modeling
- Extraordinary relationship building skills & a demonstrated ability to influence & direct others, often without direct reporting authority
- Insatiable curiosity about fintech & the broader financial services industry, & ideas about how we can keep innovating
- Humility, a team-oriented mindset, & a willingness to roll up your sleeves & dig into the tactical alongside the strategic
- A comfort with ambiguity & fast-paced environments
- Stellar organizational skills & the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- High EQ with the ability to navigate up & down the organization & cross-functionally
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, & continuing on a journey of non-stop growth & evolution.
Youll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, & celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, & regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, & help us shape Betterments culture & product for years to come.
Youll stay Happy & Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up & cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, benefit packages that fit your needs (infertility & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits available), flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements & a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- Youll have unlimited paid personal & vacation days, & a team that cares about your whole life, not just what youre working on.
Youll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills & abilities through Betterment University courses & additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing & transparency you can opt into mentoring & career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, & show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to email@example.com
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, & our hiring team simply doesnt have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.