Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed & disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the worlds first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories & home decor from over 700 designer partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About our Team:
Our consumer engineering team works on product-oriented problems across the boundaries of e-commerce, mobile, analytics & shipping/fulfillment. The backbone of our business is our real-time e-commerce logistics management system, which gives us the crucial ability to deliver the right product to the right user at the right time - a simple goal with a complex solution. We use data, engineering & algorithms to create a personalized web/mobile storefront & an adaptive supply chain to fulfill our commitment to our customer experience.
About the Job:
As an Engineering Manager at Rent the Runway, you will be responsible for leading & guiding the most important part of our engineering organization - our people. Our passion is to deliver experiences that make our users fall in love with us again & again, & this means nurturing our culture of collaboration, communication, & coordination between & within teams.
At Rent the Runway, we not only have the user-facing website that is the public face of our company but everything from the platform & reservation systems that power it, to a unique reverse logistics operation that operates from multiple fulfillment centers across the country.
What Youll Do:
- Drive technical projects to success & provide leadership in a fast-paced startup environment
- Conduct regular check-ins & 1-1s with team members
- Think critically about the long-term career development of team members
- Lead a team of diverse & talented software engineers (front end, back end, mobile and/or full stack)
- Communicate across cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, & Design
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder as necessary & removing roadblocks
- Lead prioritization efforts & provide mentorship to others
- Deeply care about the happiness of others
- BS / BA Degree in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent practical experience
- Extensive professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- Hands-on technical leadership and/or people management experience
- A strong appreciation for engineering best practices & quality over quantity of work
- A passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration & ingenuity
- A knack for effective & clear communication in all circumstances
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, Java Microservices, algorithms, & relational/NoSQL databases
- Experience in modern frameworks & design patterns (MVC, REST, React, Redux)
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis & optimization
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the happiness & wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun! .
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.