Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Senior Manager, to join our Compliance Audit & Monitoring team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
The Compliance Audit & Monitoring unit ensures that Oscar & its stakeholders consistently demonstrate their adherence to applicable laws, regulations, & rules & that their own activities to ensure compliance are robust & validated. Sitting within the Compliance team that supports & oversees Oscars tech platform, called +Oscar (i.e., the entity that provides management services to Oscars own insurance companies, as well as to its clients & strategic partners), the Compliance Audit & Monitoring unit works with all operational teams & delegates.
In leading the Compliance Audit & Monitoring unit, your role will be to design & execute on a full-year audit & monitoring program responsive to risk assessment activities that span all operational areas & delegated entities, & all lines of business in which Oscars insurance entities & +Oscars other clients operate. By ingesting & evaluating metrics ideally through live dashboards that you would help design & build you will help +Oscar demonstrate to regulators & clients that key functions are aware of & meet their legal obligations. By developing & deploying audit tools & drafting high-quality audit reports, you will conduct in-depth reviews of high-risk operational areas, assess the risk inherent in any findings, & track remediation over time. This work is crucial to Oscars ongoing success across all states, lines of business, & strategic ventures, & by extension to Oscars capacity to continue improving access to affordable, high-quality care.
You will report to the Director of Corporate (+Oscar) Compliance
- Lead the +Oscar team responsible for (real-time, where possible) monitoring & (retrospectively) auditing the adherence of all operational areas, & all delegated entities, to applicable laws & regulations
- Contribute to the annual compliance risk assessment, using its outputs to design, socialize, & execute on a full-year monitoring & auditing plan to satisfy regulators in the commercial & Medicare lines of business.
- Assess the risk of any noncompliance revealed through monitoring or auditing activities, work with management to assess the sufficiency of remediation, & track this remediation over time.
- Draft clear & comprehensive audit reports that outline all identified deficiencies & related remediation while maintaining the engagement & buy-in of operational teams.
- Move +Oscars Compliance team from manually populated, retrospective monitoring activities to (wherever possible) real-time, dashboard-driven operational monitoring.
- Collaborate with operational teams to ensure that monitoring activities & audit results are timely & accurately reported to internal venues including the Compliance Committee, & to external venues where appropriate.
- Develop templates & tools to apply risk-ranking, monitoring, & auditing standards consistently across +Oscars operations & those of its delegates, in a program that seamlessly identifies & delineates internal & external sources of risk.
- Cultivate your team to perform monitoring & auditing activities to the same high standards that you bring to your own work.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience
- 6+ years experience in health care compliance, compliance audit, internal audit, or a similar field
- Experience managing complicated projects, keeping track of details, & staging work to deliver projects on time
- Experience writing audit or other reports
- Masters Degree in a related field, or law degree (JD)
- Direct audit experience
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC), Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO), or similar compliance accreditation; alternatively, IIA, ISACA, ACFE, AHIA, or other internal audit accreditation
- Experience with HIPAA, data privacy, and/or data security processes
- Experience in a start-up and/or health tech environment
- Experience in a TPA setting
- Sequel or other coding fluency (to help design or build monitoring dashboards)
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.