View All Jobs
Have you ever spent hours tracking down facts & data for a research paper? Do you like puzzles or figuring out riddles? If yes, then you might just be the Staff Accountant that were looking for to join our Atlanta team!
As one of the fastest-growing tech companies HQd in NYC & the leader in revolutionizing how Americans move from one home to another, the Updater team gets pretty busy. Our user base is growing like crazy, & we need a few extra hands on deck to keep our users happy!
Were looking for an extremely organized, self-motivated, & hard-working individual who genuinely loves working as part of a team. Our ideal candidate will have excellent analytical & communication skills, be able to succinctly summarize & communicate complex ideas in simple, easy-to-understand language, & have the ability to manage a diverse workload in a fast-paced environment. If you place emphasis on accuracy & love thinking outside of the box, then this is the role for you.
A typical day will include assisting with the management of daily operations and strategic objectives of the companys accounting team. You will work closely with the Controller, CFO & Senior Accounting & Finance staff, as well as many other personnel at Updater to assure timely & accurate financial statements & reporting. This position will at times be required to interface with operational managers & executives & will report directly to the Controller.
About the Role
- Participate in monthly financial close processes ensuring accurate & timely results
- Prepare & analyze monthly financial statements
- Provide the necessary analysis to explain budget & forecast variances
- Maintain ownership of part of the companys general ledger accounts & related accounting
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations on various balance sheet accounts
- Assist in coordination & preparation for the annual audit with outside CPA firm
- Assist in developing & documenting accounting policies & procedures in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Ad hoc reporting or projects as assigned by the CFO or Controller
- Cross-train & backfill for other accounting team members
- Best yet, youll work alongside an extremely dedicated & motivated team thats truly dedicated to your success
- And much more!
- Empathy: you strive to put yourself in another persons shoes & start to think about the problem needing to be solved from their perspective
- Humility: you have an opinion, but arent afraid to be proven wrong, & are open to suggestions on what tool or technique is best to most efficiently solve a problem
- Strong Communication: you communicate complex ideas in simple, easy-to-understand language & build trust with stakeholders
- Comfort with Ambiguity: youre used to being asked open-ended questions & whittling them down to questions that can be answered by hard data
- Bachelors degree in Accounting
- CPA & / or public accounting experience
- At least 3 to 4 years experience dealing with general ledger accounting, revenue recognition & accounts receivable management, preferably in a large organization.
- Knowledge of Sage Intaact or similar ERP
- Expertise with Microsoft Excel required
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Customer-facing capabilities are important
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholder expectations & priorities
- High level of initiative, attention to detail, & ability to work with minimum supervision
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV & internet, & much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily & relocation companies) rely on Updaters real estate products to save clients hours with a branded & personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised over $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors), & more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest rated tech company on the list, & ranked #7 in 2018. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer & will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.