About Our Company
M.M. LaFleur is a female-founded womenswear company based in New York City. We believe the world is a better place when women succeed. Our goal is to take the work out of dressing for workwhether that means heading to the office, networking over brunch, leading PTA meetings, or anything in between. Our thoughtfully designed pieces are practical, comfortable, & beautiful, & we hope that when you wear them, you feel like the most polished & powerful version of yourself.
Who are we?
We're a group of go-getters who are passionate about reimagining the way women shop & dress for work. We get inspiration from our customers, & everything we design has a purpose & a human touch. We think big, but we sweat the details, & we take our work (but never ourselves) seriously. Were steady but nimble, thanks to a whip-smart, energetic team thats not afraid to be scrappy. We are perfectionists who sometimes spill on our clotheswe own our mistakes, turn challenges into growth, & evolve as we learn. We embrace ambiguity, celebrate weird ideas, & love a work in progress. We are kind but direct, & we practice Kizukaia Japanese word that means empathy in action. We are incredibly proud of the team weve built, & were excited to continue evolving as we grow.
Who are you?
You are an enthusiastic new designer with a passion for style, problem-solving, & execution. You will support our Design & Product Development team with a keen eye to detail, a taste for the industry, & a desire to work at an exciting womenswear brand. You will be responsible for assisting with managerial tasks across our woven & knit departments, & a knitwear background is a plus.
ORGANIZATIONAL/ MANAGERIAL TASKS
- Managing Style Master: maintain records of styles & refabs on a seasonal basis
- Update linesheet after each design/merch meeting with any changes in the assortment
- Keeping fit room organized & tidy: make sure pin cushions are ready to use, check the toolbox is stocked, get fabrics of a similar weight so that the design team can use during the fitting.
- Updating sketches post-fittings
- Keeping trim library organized & up to date with vendors new collections
- Creating & updating seasonal design boards by fabrication
- Design seasonal research: work on design concept ideas by pulling references, exploring finishes, construction, & more
- Attend concept meetings & assist with allocations
- Design sheets: work on design documents once sketches are approved by designers. Organize each style with reference images, drapes, specs, etc.
- Maintain operational relationships with product developers & patternmakers.
- Support & prepare for fittings: keep fitting room with supplies & assist during the fitting as needed.
- Design research: Work on concept & inspiration images
- Sketching into styles as directed
- Assist with product development: Spec garments, work on tech packs, assist during fittings, communicate with overseas vendors & factories. Keeping track of styles & maintain the knitwear WIP doc up to date.
- Developing new special/signature trims.
- Communicating with vendors to request new trims & meet with them to go over their new collections.
- Ownership of trim library: keep it organized for easy reference.
- Degree & experience in Fashion, Design, or similar strongly preferred