Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, & what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour & many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
What we are looking for:
MasterClass is seeking a Business Affairs Manager with broad experience in technology & media. This person will be primarily responsible for negotiating talent deals in connection with the companys online courses, as well as deals with directors, performers, rights holders, & production & digital media companies. They will be expected to have a broad understanding of MasterClasss business & products to ensure that all applicable cross-functional issues are addressed & resolved.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Structure & negotiate all business aspects of instructor deals for the companys courses with talent agents, managers, & attorneys
- Handle day-to-day business affairs issues for existing classes
- Work closely with all teams (including talent, production, creative, finance, marketing, engineering, & product) to track & advise on talent issues & proposed initiatives
- Oversee administration & review of instructor deals as it relates to payments, approvals, & other terms
- 3+ years of relevant experience negotiating talent, development, and/or production deals
- Strong understanding of content creation, technology, & media distribution
- Solid expertise with respect to guild & union agreements, contracts, & intellectual property law
- Strong professional relationships with talent representatives & business/legal affairs executives
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with a range of personalities & styles & establish productive relationships at all levels of organizations
- Proficient in basic quantitative/Excel modeling skills
- Demonstrated aptitude for learning new things, handling matters outside of area of expertise, & being outside of comfort zone
- An insatiable curiosity able to observe & identify patterns, trends & insights
- Superior project management skills
- Outstanding analytical ability, high judgment & strategic thinking capabilities
- Ability to work proactively, independently & reliably under tight time frames in a startup environment
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace & are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.