SENIOR AUTOMATION ENGINEER, SOFTWARE INTEGRATION
About the role
This is a newly created, pivotal role that will help shape & organize the culture of efficiency within the Clinical Laboratory, & broader Freenome operations. You will take point in automation software integration to Freenomes LIMS environment, & will support system integration processes. You will collaborate strategically with Clinical Laboratory & LIMS teams to deliver reliable automation processes. Your responsibilities will include integrating OTS automation instruments to larger workcells through the system scheduler, developing APIs to communicate with LIMS, & other software applications development & implementation, & youll define & execute the system integration testing & UAT. As a member of the automation team, you will directly elevate the process engineering & laboratory automation expertise within the company covering the following groups: automation, process engineering, support, & service. Additionally, you will provide mentorship to peers, & embrace the idea of having a well cross-trained team.
How youll contribute:
- Automation software integration of lab instrumentations ranging from bench-top/standalone instrument to complex automated workcells
- Defining & executing system integration testing & user acceptance testing
- Lead automation software integration projects
- Collaborate strategically with LIMS & Clinical Laboratory teams for UX/UI development
- Identify gaps & Improving existing automation-LIMS communication
- Help migrate information systems to the new Freenome LIMS environment
- Implement new sample storing, retrieving, & batching process for immediate production launch & at scale
- Improve sample tracking, chains of custody, & reagent validation processes for the newly built workcells
- Work towards to future scalability & software reliability initiatives
- Provide mentorship to peers, & embrace the idea of having an efficiently cross- trained team
What youll bring:
- 5+ years lab automation software integration experience
- Lab automation experience integrating OTS automation instrumentation into larger workcells & workflows
- Experience in laboratory information management systems (LIMS), automation scheduling software packages (Overlord, GBG2, Momentum, Cellario, or similar), & user interface (UI) development
- Experience in API development for various automation instruments
- Experience scripting methods on OEM robotic systems with a strong preference for Hamilton & Agilent Bravo Liquid Handlers, or experience scripting on multiple OEM robotic systems more broadly (Tecan, Beckman, etc)
- Experience defining & executing system integration testing & user acceptance testing (UAT)
- Experience in automation-LIMS integration, designing & executing instrument testing/validation plan
- Experience collaborating with Clinical lab in UX/UI development
- Solid technical understanding of lab automation tools used & operation concepts in NGS assay for DNA, and/or RNA, including nucleic acid extraction methods, DNA library preparation workflows, and/or proteomics methods.
- Excellent oral & written presentation & communication skills
- A team player with can-do attitude
Freenome is on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, & ultimately prevent cancer.
We have pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology & machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, we are developing simple & accurate blood tests for early cancer detection & integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care & science.
Our recent $270 Million Series C brings our financing to over $500 million from investors, including; Bain Capital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, funds & accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Societys BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis & Verily Life Sciences.
Freenome is building technology to advance the understanding of cancer through multiple analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, & immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods & applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease-dependent signatures, including gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, & 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets & modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states, including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, & aging. The synthesis of Freenomes datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, & audacious mission to discover biological truth, we seek to improve the lives of millions through early detection & early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic, & passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems & ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, & trust in one another, & we respect the diverse perspectives of our colleagues & those we serve. We assume positive intent & give each other the benefit of the doubt with the firm belief that we are a team working toward the same objectives. We believe in empowering & supporting each other in a collaborative & dynamic environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, & execute their own goals with ownership & alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, striving for greatness, servant leadership, trust, & holding themselves & their team accountable to these values. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from disparate fields of study & believe that hiring & mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome & provide constructive feedback & criticism, trusting in others good intentions, & being secure in knowing that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn & grow. For those who pursue challenges, understudied problems, & want the opportunity to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, theres no better place to be than Freenome.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer & we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.