The spark of a meaningful interaction makes people braver. It encourages participation, action, & the willingness to try -- the stuff of progress. Through Meetup, people come together, they create new possibilities for each other. It begins simply, with a handshake & a hello, but its effects can be profound: Millions of lives changed.
At Meetup, we've made it our mission to empower personal growth through real human connections because we see a future built on deep trust & collective effort. We are creating a world where people can turn to each other to improve their lives.
Data Scientists are part of Meetup's Data & Machine Learning Engineering Team & partner with teams throughout the company to identify & execute on the most impactful product & business opportunities. We are passionate about sparking real-life communities that can change lives & change the world, by redefining how all teams at Meetup use data. Our team is relatively new, so our work runs the gamut of munging data, supporting the development of our data warehouse & pipeline, consulting with client teams, building models & visualizing & presenting results. If you are a data scientist who nerds out on data & wants to drive critical projects with our internal teams & business to deliver data-informed insights that impact how the world uses Meetup, we want to hear from you!
- Can connect data to business problems & clearly communicate the benefits, risks, & trade-offs
- Believes that data integrity is paramount & obsesses about figuring things out
- Is self-motivated, eager to create something new, & always looking to improve upon existing processes, tools & methodologies
- Loves working with both people & numbers to help teams answer complex questions
- Is passionate about building community all over the world
Role & responsibilities:
- Collaborate with strategy, product, & data teams to map business needs to existing metrics or possible solutions, & then surface this information in our reporting platform
- Advise on & promote good experimental design & evaluation, as we quickly iterate on product changes
- Rapidly prototype & validate new metrics & models to generate new impactful insights about our members so we can better serve them & their communities
- Craft clear & comprehensible data visualizations that enable teams to easily understand & act upon the output of an analysis
- Analyze performance bottlenecks & recommend optimizations as we continually improve the performance of our tools
- 3+ years working with data analytics, data warehousing practices, ETL pipelines, experimentation, & modeling
- Proficiency in statistics & experiment design
- Partnering directly with clients (either internal or external) & leading projects with multiple work streams
- Meticulous attention to detail & an obsession with 'getting it right'
- Advanced SQL & proficiency with one or more scripting languages: Python, Scala or R preferred
- An optimistic outlook on what is possible to achieve & a passionate drive toward getting to that place
- Experience with data technologies like Hadoop, Hive, & Spark
- Bonus points: Building & analyzing web & mobile applications, & business intelligence tools
Meetup employees are bold, supportive, & passionate about enabling people to come together & create the future of real community, a future where people embrace their differences & similarities, show up, do things, & turn to each other to improve their lives. We care about moving fast, real-world change, & building diverse, dynamic teams in a safe & inclusive environment.
Please include a cover letter with your application telling us why you are the perfect fit for this role, & Meetup in particular!