Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging & interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about making the internet a safer place for everyone.
We're looking for a Security Design Engineer to solve large-scale across-the-stack security challenges in our products & infrastructure. Your work will make our million+ customers more secure & will help ensure that DigitalOcean is a respected contributor to the broader security community.
You'll report to the Director of Product & Infrastructure Security & will work with the rest of DigitalOcean to find innovative ways to make the systems we build as safe as possible. Our customers trust us with their data & operations, & we take that responsibility seriously. Security at DO means solving incredibly complex problems at a high-scale that have real impact for our customers, our products, & for the larger internet community.
What youll be doing:
Collaborate with product managers, designers, & engineers to architect secure & resilient systems
- Contribute to security requirements & use case development
- Conduct threat modeling exercises & security risk assessments
- Review source code for secure coding best practices
Create a paved road for engineers to build securely
- Define, document, & implement security design patterns
- Build frameworks & libraries to provide secure defaults
- Automate tools that will scan & detect security problems
Cultivate & promote security culture
- Participate in outreach (e.g. developer training, office hours, internal CTFs)
- Write blog posts to highlight our security practices
What we'll expect from you:
We know you will have a unique combination of skills & dont expect you to check every box on this list. Below are some of the skills that you have acquired already or will have the opportunity to learn while at DigitalOcean:
- Strong communication skills, both written & verbal
- A habit of approaching security problems with creativity & flexibility that takes the entire stack into consideration
- Experience collaborating with internal engineering teams
- Working knowledge of modern development concepts (virtualized environments, containerization, continuous integration & delivery), network architecture, & system architecture
- Experience building or reviewing threat models & ability to craft malicious user, attacker, & abuse/misuse cases
- Software engineering experience (you can write robust code with good test coverage & can point to specific examples of projects youve successfully delivered in the past)
- Working knowledge of hardware & software supply chain security
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, & other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We care about your physical, financial & mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, & a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC & Cambridge, were very distributedwe use a number of communication tools to connect across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices & meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Want to learn more about our Security team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!