THIS IS BLUE APRON
Chefs around the world wear blue aprons when learning to cook, & for us it has become a symbol of lifelong learning. Our highly motivated group of food enthusiasts are inspired to work on complex business problems with creativity & passion always looking to learn something new. We take preparation seriously, embrace a spirit of excellence, & put in the extra effort in everything we do. We are thrilled to be part of our customers lives, cooking & creating experiences in their home kitchens.
WHO'S IN THE KITCHEN
Our Technology team is a collection of over 50 talented engineers, analysts, designers, & product managers who have built our web & e-commerce applications, our mobile (iOS & Android) apps, our proprietary Warehouse Management System, & our data platform (among many other things). Within Engineering, the Data team is responsible for our enterprise data warehouse, business intelligence platform, ETL processes, & data pipelines, as well as machine learning models & deployment infrastructure, including demand forecasting, personalization, & product recommendations.
Data Engineering at Blue Apron strives for deeper visibility across the entire data lifecycle with a Data Operations-centered culture. In an era where data & metrics are a prerequisite for strategic & tactical decision-making, this is vital in Blue Aprons competitive edge in the meal-kit market.
WHAT'S ON THE MENU
- Design & implement new data workflows, automation, tools, & API integrations with the goal of allowing business end users to make informed, data-backed business decisions under crucial time constraints
- Collaborate with other engineers, third party vendors, & internal stakeholders to apply data solutions to the unique challenges of our business
- Research, share, & recommend new technologies & trends
- Our stack: Python, SQL, Airflow, Kafka, BigQuery, Spark, Apache Beam, Tensorflow
- 4+ years experience in Data Engineering or similar roles working with backend systems & large, disparate, & complex datasets
- Solid understanding of large-scale data warehousing, ETL best practices, RDBMS, event sourcing, batch & stream processing
- Strong communication skills & experience working with technical & non-technical stakeholders to solve problems
- Demonstrated record of mentorship & growing more junior engineers
- Detail-oriented with the ability to enforce or evangelize consistency in documentation, naming conventions, & code reuse
- Ability to run engineering projects from conception to launch, & act as a technical lead for the Data Operations team
- Expert Python skills, broad experience in writing, debugging & testing code
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with GCP or AWS
- Experience with Airflow, Luigi or similar data orchestration platforms
- Proficiency in SQL
- Active member of the open source or local tech community
AT BA DATA ENGINEERING, WE VALUE:
- Eagerness to learn cross-functionally, not only within the Data Engineering domain but also within various business functions like Supply Chain, Accounting, Product Management, Marketing, Retail, Finance, & DevOps
- An openness to both giving & receiving constructive feedback with the intention of bettering everyone involved
- A thirst for learning & a passion for putting new technologies, processes & patterns into practice in a realistic manner
- An ability to understand how the whole system fits together at both a high level as well as at a detailed level in the given area of responsibility & beyond
- A tireless mentor & resource for the rest of the Data Engineering organization, committed to solving small hurdles without escalation, unblocking teammates work & shielding them from unnecessary distraction
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state & local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms & conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation & training.