KATERRA exists to help transform construction through technology - every process & every product.
We provide end-to-end building services, creating new efficiencies between design, engineering, construction, project management, & more. Our integrated teams apply the principles of technology & manufacturing to the building industry, bringing fresh minds & innovative approaches to remove unnecessary time & costs from construction projects.
At KATERRA, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, & bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
Building Scientist - Enclosures
Katerras Seattle office is looking for a Building Scientist on the Building Sciences team who contributes to the overall building envelope & technology to building design & construction for manufacturing environments in compliance with applicable building codes.
The Building Scientist guides the analysis & development of wall components, wall sections, window selection, detailing of wall types, & provides technical support to cross functional teams for manufactured construction projects. Reviews plans & other technical documents, answers questions regarding the design & manufacturing scope and/or level of completeness for the project.
The Building Scientist performs engineering design evaluations to ensure manufacturing & construction capabilities are in sync with designs. Provides technical support for Product & Platform teams. This position will also provide development engineering services to internal teams such as product development as the company develops products & services.
Applicant must be familiar with a variety of the subject matter concepts, practices, & procedures. Relies on experience & judgment to plan & accomplish goals. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. A wide degree of creativity & latitude is expected.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Create & maintain BIM models & construction documents for a variety of building types using Revit, including commerical & multifamily construction
- Create model views, building plans & layouts, sketches, & construction details
- Coordinate with Building Sciences staff & others to gather building dimensions, drawing requirements, enclosure details, & drawing markups
- Review, analyze, & research design, manufacturing, & construction options & provide technical advice to in-house teams, including design, manufacturing, sourcing, & construction teams
- Research, recommend, & approve alternative construction methods & options to resolve issues & accommodated the use of innovative designs within the scope of each project
- Assist with design & documentation of enclosure systems including: wall layouts, panelization plans, window placement, framing layouts, building wall sections & technical specifications
- Consider & apply applicable codes & building envelope standards, performance testing, & Energy Compliance
- Assist with developing solutions to challenging structural issues with integrated architecture, engineering, construction, & manufacturing teams
- Help provide key technical design input parameters for the development of design, manufacturing, & construction documentation
- Ensure designs are compliant with the companies principles of design for manufacturing, assembly, & systems integration
- Track & report feedback from design, manufacturing, & construction teams
- Prepare reports, technical memorandums, recommendations, & cost estimates
Required Skills & Experience
- 10+ years of experience as a full-time Building Scientist.
- Bachelors or Masters degree (preferred) in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Building Sciences, or Construction Management or other construction-related discipline
- Registered Engineer, Architect, or other applicable professional license preferred, or eligible for relevant registration
- Proven success managing & contributing to enclosure-related projects involving commercial and/or residential projects
- In-depth knowledge of building materials & construction processes for design, manufacturing, & construction, and/or design of building enclosures, waterproofing, cladding systems, roofs, & other related construction
- Interest in innovative design, specifically in renewable energies & sustainable, high performing buildings
- Possess strong writing, communication & time-management skills
- Knowledge of AutoCAD & Office Suite & preferred knowledge of REVIT, or ability to learn software during first quarter of employment
- Experience or familiarity in energy modeling, hygrothermal analysis using WUFI or similar software, thermal analysis using THERM, is a plus
- LEED certification a plus
- Resourceful & team-oriented problem-solving skills
- Forward thinking with strong interpersonal skills are a must
- Display a passion for innovation & willingness to learn
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that KATERRA does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, KATERRA will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, KATERRA explicitly reserves the right to pursue & hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of KATERRA.