At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.
We care deeply about delivering the best transportation experience; this means the best experience for the passenger & the best experience for the driver. We believe this quality of service can only be achieved with a deep understanding of our world, our cities, our streets how they evolve, how they breathe. We embrace the powerful positive impact autonomous transportation will bring to our everyday lives & with our ambition, we will become a leader in the development & operation of such vehicles. Thanks to our network, with hundreds of millions of rides every year, we have the means to make autonomy a safe reality. As a member of Level5, you will have the opportunity to develop & deploy tomorrows hardware & software solutions & thereby revolutionize transportation.
Join a small team of engineers who are passionate about large scale distributed systems. Our Data Platform team is responsible for ingesting PBs of data from AVs, Simulation, ML, Fleets, etc into our Data Lake. We build high throughput batch ingestion pipelines that can transport 10s of PBs of data per month, with a data freshness SLA of 1 hour. Our stream ingestion pipelines transports >10B events a day, with a data freshness SLA of under 5 minutes. Our data scale is growing 10x YoY as Level-5 scales its Autonomy program. Our team is also responsible for managing & persisting data in our data lake. An anecdote we use internally is our AVs produce data at a rate that is comparable to all of Twitter users combined.
If you are excited about joining a team of talented engineers working on cutting-edge tech & build for scale, join us! Some of the challenges the team deals with are:
- Build horizontally scalable APIs (REST, gRPC) for publishing events & consuming data for downstream applications
- Leveraging Kafka as a message bus to develop event driven applications & transport billions of events per day
- Capturing CDC streams from operational databases like Dynamodb & persisting them into our Data Lake
- Ingesting raw & events data into our data lake in near real-time
- Architecting a car to cloud pipe for real-time streaming telemetry from a self-driving car running on the road to the cloud, for streaming analytics use-cases
- Improve Analytics performance for faster query times, by exploring techniques like faster databases like Druid, Interana, Clickhouse
- Build solutions for safe schema evolutions of our existing data, for example, schema registry
- Build relationships with cloud vendors to communicate feature requests & pain-points
- Support ML data use-cases & labeling workflows
- Own the core L5 data platform, build reliable, scalable, performant distributed systems
- Innovate on a generic data model end-users use to publish their data from a wide-variety of sources, such as a variety of sensors on the car, simulation, ML pipelines, etc
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality & distribute knowledge, including Open-Source projects
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Share your knowledge by giving brown bags, tech talks, & evangelizing appropriate tech & engineering best practices
- Provide observability into the systems health & execution flow, build tools & dashboards for monitoring & improving efficiency
- Educate, & evangelize best data-processing (batch & stream) practices across the entire Autonomous Vehicles organization
- Excellent Software Engineering & Computer Science fundamentals. It usually comes with Bachelors or higher degree in CS, or 3+ years of experience in top-performing teams (ideally both)
- Extensive programming experience, especially in Java, Python, and/or C++
- Experience with building REST or gRPC services
- Nice to Have: Experience with various data-store technologies (e.g. DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, Spanner, BigQuery, HBase), distributed messaging platforms (e.g. Kafka, Kinesis), or data processing frameworks (e.g. Spark, Flink, Beam, Hive), or workflow orchestration platforms (Airflow, Oozie, Azkaban) or cloud-friendly data file format (e.g. Parquet, Avro, JSON), or containerization frameworks like Docker & Kubernetes
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive & diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state & local law.