At Pursuit, all employees have the opportunity to make a profound, positive social impact. We are building a dynamic, impactful, ambitious, brilliant hard-working team to achieve our goals & support our national expansion.
Pursuit is a social impact organization that creates transformation where its needed most. Through our intensive, four-year software developer training program, we teach high-need, high-potential adults the technical skills & industry smarts needed to get their first tech jobs, advance in their careers, & become the next generation of leaders in tech.
Our graduates are hired by leading companies like Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, BlackRock, & JPMorgan Chase, & increase their average annual salaries from $18,000 to over $85,000. By connecting talent with opportunity, Pursuit empowers graduates to transform their families, tech companies, & communities across the nation. Read about our work in the New York Times: Income Before: $18,000. After: $85,000. Does Tiny Nonprofit Hold a Key to the Middle Class?
About the Role
We are hiring a Technical Strategy Lead, Programs to help ensure that Fellows meet the necessary technical bar to land jobs as web developers in the tech industry. The Technical Strategy Lead will lead the design & execution for the Pursuit Fellowships technical training, including setting the vision & managing technical instructors toward student outcomes. The Head of Technical Strategy will work with our Lead Instructional Designer, Instructional Team, Sr. Manager of Programs, hiring partners, & Fellows.
- Design the vision, goals & implementation strategy for technical training across the Core, Employment & Advance Teams.
- Analyze data on Fellow progress. Support instructors in assessing & guiding fellows to meet their technical outcomes.
- Provide technical mentorship & growth support for instructional staff via direct observation & coaching against best engineering & educational practices.
- Work with Pursuit Instructors & Curriculum Lead to create new student-facing tools & resources. Be a key thought partner in resource creation.
- Recruit, manage & retain technical instructional staff, ensuring strong staff culture & high-quality classroom instruction/small-group coaching.
- Provide input on curriculum & assessments to ensure they align with industry standards.
- Advise on & support key program events & initiatives for Core, such as mentorship, Hackathon, Capstone, Demo Day.
- Experience hiring & managing a team of software engineers or technical instructors towards defined outcomes.
- Up to date with latest web development tools, programming techniques, & engineering best practices.
- Able to communicate & collaborate with stakeholders who are technical & non technical.
- Passionate about a culture of learning & teaching
- Believe in our mission & you believe in the potential of all people.
- Comfortable using data to drive toward measurable outcomes.
- Addicted to working in a scrappy start-up environment that requires taking initiative, testing & iterating. Youre not afraid to fail because failing means getting one step closer to great.
- Have flexible work hours. (The role will be managing our Daytime & Nights/Weekends instructors & will require some weekend or evening work).
- Experience in education is a plus.
- Available to attend NYC-based, socially distance events in person preferred.
*Pursuit HQ are located in Long Island City, Queens, but our office is currently closed in accordance to state-mandates regarding Covid-19 safety. Staff is working remotely until further notice.
Our Values & Culture
At Pursuit, we operate as One Big Team, supporting one another & ensuring that everyone from staff to funders to board members & volunteers are aligned in our efforts to bring transformation to our community. Our values underscore everything we do.
Giving Our All: We have a strong moral & ethical purpose. It's a privilege to have the responsibility of our daily work & immense impact on the world. Our purpose coupled with exceptional passion creates a high sense of urgency & deep commitment to our students, to our community, & to each other.
Delivering Outcomes: Because our students deserve it, because our investors expect it, & because each of us demand it. We work with the best -- & we are immeasurably grateful for the time, resources, skill, & care that every member of our community invests in our mission. We earn their faith in us, renew their commitment, & thank them by delivering outcomes to each & every one of our stakeholders.
Data Driven, Human Judgement: We cant manage anything we cant measure. Data & analysis give definition & ownership to what we do. Evidenced-based decision making allows us to understand our impact & improve over time. At the same time, our work is about what things could be. We are driven by the potential of humanity & the faith in whats possible. Our work is about beating the odds & overcoming the counterfactual.
In addition to competitive compensation, we are happy to provide employees with a range of benefits. Our offerings include premium health, dental, & vision insurance, flexible paid time off, robust 401k matching, discounted gym memberships, & a fun & active workplace that includes drinks, snacks, & fun team events.
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds & experiences, & we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives & affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.