Harrys started in 2013 with a specific goal: disrupt the shaving industry by creating an innovative, everyday product at a fair price. Since then, Harrys has expanded to Canada & Europe, developed relationships with retailers such as Target & Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, launched two new brands including Flamingo & Cat Person, & made our first brand acquisition with Lum.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, & logistics specialists, the Harrys team is composed of some of the most brilliant, diverse, & humble people youll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion & innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, & backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 5 or 500, our core values & our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement & learning, teamwork & collaboration, creative problem solving, & open & direct dialogue & feedback.
Harrys is operating as a hybrid-first environment - for us, that means that we ask folks to come into our beautiful, 88,000 square foot SoHo office a minimum of 2 days per week, with flexibility to choose exactly which days work best for you. What will you get out of that? Bagels on Wednesdays & lunch on Thursdays, & fully stocked kitchens with snacks, coffee, & drinks everyday. Cant forget the free products & the opportunity to have some meetings without Zoom (remember what 2019 was like?)
Harrys Labs is responsible for growing the Harrys brand portfolio by making Harrys home to the next set of iconic brands within the Consumer Packaged Goods industry. Leveraging the diverse talents of the Labs team, Harrys Labs identifies the most compelling new CPG brands in the market today & gives their passionate leaders a unique opportunity to grow their businesses with the support of the best of Harrys brand & creative expertise, omnichannel know-how, entrepreneurial talent & key systems & processes.
About the Role
As the VP & Head of Harrys Labs you will develop the Harrys Labs strategy, manage the Harrys Labs team & ultimately support the growth of the Harrys portfolio of brands. In your role, you will continuously evolve the Companys unique M&A strategy & will be responsible for overseeing the sourcing, evaluation & execution of transformative M&A transactions. You will serve as the internal & external face of Harrys Labs, building awareness & enthusiasm for the unique Harrys M&A proposition among the founder & investors community, & galvanizing internal stakeholders around mission aligned, value accretive M&A opportunities
Over time, Harry's Labs has engaged in not just control M&A but also built & launched new brands & made non control investments. While your primary focus in the near term will be control M&A transactions,, you will ultimately be responsible for building the strategy & executing again Harrys growth across all of these dimensions. Working closely with the co-founder & CEO of Harrys & your team, you will play a key role in establishing Harrys as the home of choice within the high growth CPG landscape & making the Harrys vision a reality.
- Lead & continuously evolve Harrys Labs strategy, approach & operating processes
- Manage a cross functional team capable of sourcing ideas & companies, evaluating brand strength & differentiation, assessing consumer needs & resonance, determining market potential & TAM, building complex financial models, performing valuation analysis & structuring complex transactions
- Own investment decision making, thoughtfully synthesizing large amounts of data & diverse perspectives into a clear, well articulated perspective on key investment risks & rewards, alignment with Harrys Labs M&A strategy & ultimately, a go/no recommendation at each phase of M&A diligence
- Independently build the Harrys Labs M&A target company pipeline by effectively networking with the founder & investor community within Consumer Packaged Goods alongside other innovative communities
- Oversee diligence process including: deep consumer & market research, evaluation of strength of brand positioning, detailed financial models & underwriting plans, company valuation/deal structure & development of clear, compelling investment presentations
- Serve as the internal & external face of Harrys Labs, inspiring both internal & external stakeholders to support Labs diligence efforts & ultimately, investment decisions
- Lead effective negotiations with target company founders & investors to create compelling offers for target businesses that are also value accretive for Harrys
- Report to Harry co founder and. CEO, working collaboratively with him to define the strategy & approach for diversifying the brand portfolio of Harrys
The following should describe you
- 12+ years of professional experience including 5+ years in consumer focused Growth Equity, Private Equity, Corporate Development/M&A or investment banking
- Well-rounded investor with deep experience across:
- Sourcing: strong existing network & experience building relationships with founders, company executives, financial intermediaries in the consumer space
- Due diligence: able to adeptly identify key diligence questions, & lead diligence processes in partnership with internal & external parties including consumer & brand market research, omnichannel business model assessment & financial modeling
- Deal negotiation: experience developing & managing complex investment structures & cap tables
- Deal closing: effective partner to drive & own, where appropriate, legal diligence, legal documentation, funds flows, accounting/financing due diligence & other confirmatory diligence
- Post investment engagement: experience advising or closely working across multiple businesses & brands in the consumer sector, most likely via board or board observer roles
- Exceptional leader with proven ability to manage dynamic & talented teams in highly fluid environments
- Significant experience in intensive diligence processes (ideally in the consumer space), including market & consumer research, brand positioning & development, & deal structuring
- Deep existing personnel network in high growth consumer sector, e.g., founders, executives, intermediaries, investors, etc.
- Proven ability to partner closely with entrepreneurs to understand their vision, structure transactions to meet their needs & support them in growing their businesses
- Able to think strategically & creatively while applying sound business judgment & qualitative & quantitative analysis to complex problems
- A self-starter who can build & evolve process, works effectively with cross-functional teams & thrives in a fast paced setting that is constantly evolving
- Capably handle ambiguity & can extrapolate & synthesize your way to insightful recommendations even when data is far from perfect
- Strong interpersonal skills: Confident, poised, articulate, clear in communication. Would be comfortable presenting to a senior audience & facilitating complex discussions.
- Humble. Low ego. Always putting others & Harrys first.
- Centered & methodical. A steady hand in turbulent or uncertain situations.
- You take your work seriously but dont take yourself too seriously.
Benefits & perks
- Medical, dental, & vision coverage
- 401k match
- Equity in Harrys
- Unlimited PTO & flexible working hours
- Wellness & L&D stipends
- One month sabbatical after 5 years
- 16 weeks parental leave
- Fun IRL & virtual events including happy hours, team building events, & parties on our rooftop
- Free products from all of our brands
Harrys is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds & perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, & do great work together.
Harrys is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment & advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire & promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth & related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture & protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state & local laws. Harrys commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, team & access to benefits & training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC & are dedicated to going above & beyond in fostering diversity across our company.