Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending & saving, alongside its core investing & retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money for today, tomorrow, & someday through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; & tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more at www.betterment.com.
About the Role:
At Betterment, our Operations team thrives on efficiency & iteration. We are talented & eager to help our company operate more effectively & passionate to learn from our dynamic colleagues. There is no job too big or too small for us; we are focused, & we always strive for excellence.
You are a metrics-oriented individual who is always thinking of ways to make complicated tasks more efficient, while keeping a keen eye on the big picture. You have a knack for anticipating problems that may surface in customer-facing situations & quickly resolving it appropriately.
You are extremely detail-oriented with a passion for organization. You grasp complex topics quickly & are adept at thinking on your feet to solve problems in a creative & holistic manner. You use data to inform your decisions whenever possible. You are a strong leader & communicator who enjoys interacting with other people to address any issue that comes your way. You are excited to support internal/external partners & play a crucial role in keeping our business growing & running smoothly.
We are looking to hire this role based in our NYC or Philly office locations, where we offer hybrid working conditions.
A Day in the Life:
The Operations Manager role is highly visible & hybrid in nature as it calls for interactions with a number of teams under the Operations umbrella including but not limited to Customer Operations, Broker Dealer Operations/BaW, Firm Operations, & Crypto. The role will encompass process improvement, people management, project management, senior stakeholder communications & much more.
- Serve as Lead Project Manager for all Operations projects which requires technical knowledge of both Betterment products as well as Operations processes. Collaborate with a variety of engineering teams to drive projects to completion.
- Identify, & implement, improvements to operational processes that make servicing customer requests, & the overall business, more efficient & scalable.
- Troubleshoot operational issues, investigate root causes, & collaborate with the engineering team to employ fixes.
- Serve as Primary liaison & point of contact for Process Street relationship with Betterment. Research & grow additional relationships with other companies/platforms accordingly.
- Manage a team of (2) associates; develop their career trajectories as thought partners in identifying & executing process improvements in Operations
- Serve as a resource for metrics around Ops processes & deliverables. Manage meetings with respective teams & identify opportunities for growth and/or improvement both individually & as a team.
- Prepare presentations & join biweekly meetings reporting the status of Operations to senior management (Sarah/Reust)
- Partner with current stakeholders to make sure the team is adequately trained to handle current B4B deliverables.
- Work with Operations managers to build robust training programs & increase visibility so that opportunities to learn & advance skill sets are not siloed.
What Were Looking For:
- Prior experience at a financial institution, preferably in operations, finance, investing, corporate actions, or business administration
- Proficiency in Excel/Google Sheets, with experience in data analysis & reconciliation
- Detail-oriented mindset & excellent organizational skills
- Ability to learn quickly & problem solve on the fly with little guidance
- Good intuition & ability to assess unclear situations with limited information, with an eye to always doing whats best for our customers, & the team
- Strong, concise written & verbal communication skills
- 3-4 years people and/or project management experience preferred
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, & continuing on a journey of non-stop growth & evolution.
Youll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self & make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, & regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, & help us shape Betterments culture & product for years to come.
Youll stay Happy & Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up & cared for with a customizable workstation, benefit packages that fit your needs (including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits), a Self Care stipend of $600 per year to invest in your wellness however you see fit, as well as additional professional development funds.
- Youll have unlimited paid personal & vacation days, & a team that cares about your whole life, not just what youre working on.
Youll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills & abilities through Betterment University courses & additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing & transparency you can opt into mentoring & career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, & show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to email@example.com
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 4-6 weeks to complete the interview process. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, & our hiring team simply doesnt have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.