Apply today to change the lives of kids in our community during the 2019-2020 school year as a Recess Coach - expected start date of January2020!
Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? If you are motivated & you possess leadership experience, we want you tojoin our team to bring your passion for play to a school near you.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to get kids physically active & transform childrens social & emotional health. We believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid & are changing school climates by leveraging the power of safe, fun, & healthy play at school every day.
As a Playworks AmeriCorps Member (aka Recess Coach), you will improve the school climate at a local elementary school by ensuring that every kid gets to play every day. Youll be on-site, every school day, making a difference on the playground & in the school community.
How youll make an impact:
- Create a safe & inclusive recess on the playground by being a caring role model to ensure that every kid plays every day.
- Implement a youth leadership program by providing student leadership opportunities at recess & facilitating trainings for a cohort of students before or after school.
- Lead individual classes to build youth leadership skills, promote cooperation, & introduce new games that kids can play on the playground, including the rules & boundaries.
- Enlist & coach students in interscholastic/developmental sports leagues that might include basketball, volleyball, or soccer.
- Design & implement a community event during the year that engages students families at the school site.
- Recruit & coordinate volunteers who will join you at recess to strengthen school climate.
- Develop a strong school culture by influencing, motivating & building rapport with faculty, administrators, parents, & volunteers.
- Participate in national days of service & some weekend service projects in the greater community.
- Flex your administrative muscles to organize program schedules, track your hours, & collect & enter important program data.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Commitment to fulfilling your entire term of service with the ability to serve your scheduled hours consistently- this term of service requires a minimum of 900 hours over the remaining school year (typically 6 months), participation in a minimum of one (1) National Day of Service, as well as ongoing required trainings & professional development
- Experience leading or teaching groups of children with the ability to engage & inspire youth
- Must be an organized self-starter exhibiting good judgment with the flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities & demands
- Experience using technology required to input program data & communicate with other team members- we use Salesforce & Google products
- Deep commitment to national & community service as demonstrated through volunteerism or other service work
- Experience interacting with diverse communities & the ability to integrate into an existing school community
- Ongoing access to reliable transportation to & from your assigned school site
- Criminal history background checks are conducted on all AmeriCorps members when an offer is made. Your term of service is always contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check. The results of state & FBI criminal history background checks & national sexual offender checks through the National Sex Offender Public Registry Website (NSOPW) are considered.
- Successful completion of a Tuberculosis (TB) test & CPR & First Aid certification upon hire
Benefits of being an AmeriCorps member at Playworks:
- A modest living stipend paid out semi-monthly, with amounts varying by region
- Medical health insurance at no cost
- Access to Dental & Vision insurance at a low cost
- Education award that can be used for eligible student loans, tuition, & other education related expenses after successful completion of your service year. See more information here-www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/alumni/segal-americorps-education-award
- Child care expense reimbursement if you qualify- see www.americorpschildcare.com
- Enrollment as an AmeriCorps service member- see www.americorps.gov for details
- Leadership skill development & valuable experience for a career in education & youth development
- Youll make a lasting difference in childrens lives & your community & what's better than that?
Playworks is a hands-on, creative, playful & fun-loving place to be, all while contributing to the success of our nations youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, take on a rewarding set of challenges & if you've got the skills, experience, passion, & a team spirit, apply!
For more information about AmeriCorps service with Playworks, check out www.playworks.org/coach
Service Environment: This position operates in a K-12 school environment both indoors & outdoors. The position interacts with children on playgrounds & in classrooms on a daily basis.
Typical physical & mental demands:
This position requires sufficient physical ability & mobility to stand for extended periods at times; walk on a school site in various weather conditions; to climb stairs at some sites; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach & twist and, dependent on assignment the employee may occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Requires a range of hearing, vision, & speech that enables the member to exchange information, to hear & locate the source of a sound in a noisy environment & to see effectively to monitor student activities
Playworks provides reasonable accommodations to applicants & employees as required by law. Applicants with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation at any point in the employment process.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe & healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, & build valuable social & emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing & managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities.
Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community & healthy play are the foundation of our organization & are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting & retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.