As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the role:
New York Magazine energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view & providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content & experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
Managing multimedia products that millions of people use every day is important work, & the Technology team is dedicated to making sure that everything New York Magazinecreates is efficient & accessible. We enable other teams at New York Magazineto streamline their work & help our audience engage easily with our products.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, & others in the creation of design-detailed, UX-savvy digital products
- Build on a collection of robust, reusable web components used across our network of sites to produce pages seen by 40M people every month
- Deliver backend APIs that scale & deploy with ease
- Create sites that are accessible & forward-compatible through the healthy use of web standards
- Identify & address bottlenecks to make sure every web page goes from request to render as quickly as possible
- Cultivate a healthy, inclusive learning culture both within & between teams, & provide mentoring & guidance to junior & mid-level engineers
- Know how to get the job done today, while you're on the lookout for a better way for us to work tomorrow
What you'll bring:
- Extensive experience working within (and perhaps leading) a team developing & supporting live products
- Advanced knowledge of HTML5 & CSS3. You write semantic markup that robots love, know how to communicate state to screen reader users, & can arrange the trickiest of layouts while keeping your CSS simple
- Significant experience on the backend, & an ability to recognize common design patterns, & write performant database queries
- A knack for clean, clear code with an eye for maintainability & reuse. You know how to coach junior engineers in following those principles.
- Knowledge of agile software development practices & experience working closely with stakeholders in short, iterative cycles
- Knowledge of how to choose the right technology for the job, & the ability to spot when a framework will save you time, when it will get in the way, & when it isnt worth the trouble
- Comfort talking about code, advocating for best practices, & facilitating inclusive & democratic technical discussions
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.