IDEO.org is a nonprofit design studio, with the mission to design a more just & inclusive world. To do that, we partner with organizations around the world to apply human-centered design to a range of social impact challenges. Human-centered design is a creative approach to problem-solving that starts with listening to people & arrives at new solutions tailored to meet their needs.
We are hiring a Director of Finance & Administration in our San Francisco or New York studio. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), you will lead the companys finance function, ensuring IDEO.org has a long-term financial strategy, & highly effective & accurate accounting & reporting. You will also supervise key operations functions including compliance & technology.
- Build a multi-year financial plan & underlying business model that supports the organizations priorities & enhances long-term sustainability.
- Drive annual budgeting to ensure effective planning & a budget that reflects IDEO.orgs strategic priorities.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, & reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards & regulatory requirements.
- Ensure IDEO.org has the business systems & processes in place (formal & informal) to efficiently & effectively manage the organizations network, finances, pipeline, & human capital.
- Ensure the organization has the technology strategy, infrastructure, products & services, & helpdesk support to enable employees in every studio to do their best work.
- Sleuth out compliance risks from federal laws to contract negotiations & create strategies for mitigating them; ensure IDEO.org has adequate insurance coverage in place.
- Oversee the annual process to review benefits & policies & update the employee handbook as needed.
- Lead the accounting & operations teams, ensuring there are appropriate structures & strong management in place across all aspects of the accounting function (monthly close, AR/AP, payroll, procurements, etc.) & administration function (contract review & management, reporting, etc.)
- Manage the performance & growth of Finance team members.
- Perform additional related responsibilities as assigned by Business Lead.
- An experienced leader with three to five years in non-profit finance or accounting role & at least three years of experience leading staff.
- An absolute professional who leads by example, treats people with respect regardless of role, & seeks & gives constructive feedback.
- An excellent communicator (in speaking, writing, & listening).
- Effective working & building trust in multidisciplinary teams.
- Able to switch seamlessly between self-directed independent work & highly collaborative teamwork.
- Excited about the opportunity to get your hands dirty in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Deeply knowledgeable & insightful about finance, accounting, & administration.
- Experienced in the development of accurate, timely, & useful financial reports.
- Able to identify & employ appropriate technology across the responsibilities of the position; experienced with using financial software programs, preferably Sage Intacct.
- Highly organized with impeccable attention to detail.
- Eager to be an engaged member in a creative community.
- Able to handle multiple projects/requests, prioritize & delegate effectively, & meet deadlines.
- Specially trained with a bachelors degree in accounting or finance; CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Passionate about fighting poverty & inequality.
Commitment to Diversity
At IDEO.org, we are committed to the work of advancing diversity, equity & inclusion within our organization & in the world. Our purpose of having disproportionate, world-changing impact through design is directly connected to our ability to bring many different perspectives to the table. This applies to our candidates, the people we hire, the clients & customers we serve, & the communities we learn from in our research.
As a human-centered organization, we are committed to working with & designing for people of every race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, physical ability or attribute, religion, national origin, or political belief. We recognize that this commitment requires ongoing work & sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights & best practices.