Who are we?
At Intersection, we are at the forefront of the smart cities revolution. Our mission is to improve daily life in cities & public spaces, with products that bridge the digital & physical worlds by delivering connectivity, information & content to enrich our everyday journeys & elevate the urban experience.
We pair our human-centered methodology with cutting-edge technology to design, develop, deliver, & maintain unique products & experiences in public space that deliver value to advertisers, cities, & consumers. Whether partnering with urban transit systems to revolutionize commuting & travel, with cities to transform how they connect with residents & visitors, or private developers to create unforgettable experiences in neighborhoods & districts, our solutions are scalable platforms on which our clients can build the future.
Intersection is backed by Alphabet through its urban technology company Sidewalk Labs.
What is the role?
As a Senior Systems Engineer at Intersection, you will assist in the design & management of infrastructure & automation that is responsible for the reliability & performance of our products, in close collaboration with our development teams. We work in cross-functional teams, implement infrastructure as code, use CI for testing, & solve problems using creativity & wisdom. We work with hardware we can touch & infrastructure we will never see. But the most important thing is that we work closely with smart & creative people to solve problems important to our products & clients, using automation at every opportunity to eradicate manual toil. This role requires excellent interaction skills, an ability to think & speak clearly, & an understanding of when to ask for help. You should be a strong collaborator, creative problem solver, eminently resourceful, & someone who enjoys learning & sharing knowledge.
Your first 30 days, you will:
- Get to know the team
- Begin to learn about & work on your areas of responsibility
- Learn about the company's environment & integrate into its culture
- Begin to identify areas of growth & things to learn for your first year
- Start taking ownership of your areas of responsibility
- Contribute to support of the environment
- Begin contributing to plans for the ongoing lifecycle of the environment
You are awesome for this role because:
- You have experience with continuous integration, log collection, & analysis builds & performance monitoring/tuning of your infrastructure
- You have the ability to automate infrastructure & application deployments, debug deployments, & bring forth new ideas for continuous improvement
- You are proficient with configuration management systems (such as Ansible/Chef/Puppet), deployment pipelines, & scripting in languages such as bash & python
- You have designed, monitored, supported, & managed scalable & fault-tolerant systems
- You have experience running modern distributed container management systems (Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, etc.)
- You are comfortable managing cloud infrastructure, bare-metal servers, & virtualized environments.
- You have experience with low-level Linux troubleshooting & debugging (CPU, memory profiling, etc.)
- You enjoy working with engineers to make the software development process as painless as possible
- You have a keen ability to understand the needs of the business & our clients & work with engineers & product managers to ensure the infrastructure & deployment methods achieve business & technical objectives
- You want to help make our development practices better & reduce friction from idea to deployment
- You are comfortable working as a senior member of a team, helping establish team standards, mentoring those junior to you, & discussing the pros & cons of tools & technical approaches with all team members
- You are able to evaluate new technologies & clearly communicate the benefits & risks of adoption
- You are resourceful, intellectually curious, & self-motivated to learn new things & stay abreast of top technology trends
- You have a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in DevOps or Linux/Unix SysAdmin roles with 1-3 years of AWS experience (S3, EC2, IAM, Route 53)