Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Senior Director of Healthcare Economics to identify, design & lead initiatives that maximize the healthcare value that we get from every dollar that we spend on medical costs.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
Healthcare is expensive, & as an insurer our primary goal is to make sure that we get the best value for our members. But there is no silver bullet to controlling medical costs; an effective cost-management strategy takes a deep & broad portfolio approach that tailors the plan to local market dynamics & pulls all of the levers we have available, including network & plan design, utilization management, member engagement.
You will be the founding leader with a small team of industry experts to drive actionable insights & analysis to find the largest opportunities & come up with tangible actions we can take that will maximize our risk-adjusted profitability. You will have the opportunity to formulate the strategy, outline a cross-functional operating model, develop the tools, & recruit a team of world-class analysts. The actionable insights derived & implemented by your team will have executive-level visibility; guiding program, region, market & provider-level strategies to identify & eliminate inefficient & ineffective healthcare. This role requires an analytical mind, executive-level communication, contemporary data visualization/presentation, & direct/indirect leadership skills.
- Develop a firm-wide Medical Cost Management plan for the business & represent it to leadership & key stakeholders to secure internal buy-in while integrating into regional leadership teams quarterly, annual & multi-year business plans
- Lead organizational efforts to synthesize medical cost trends, & identify actions to achieve medical & pharmacy cost improvements spanning network & clinical
- Develop action plans to address identified opportunities, including researching industry standards, vendor solutions & the build requirements for internal solutions
- Partner with Data Science, Finance, Actuarial, & Clinical teams to implement best-in-class methods to systematically identify & manage medical cost drivers
- Utilize historical, predicted, & competitive market data to recommend benchmarks for setting expectations for, & measuring, financial & operating performance (KPIs) for Oscars primary books of business
- Develop metrics, reports & models to enable effective monitoring & analysis of network, condition management, site of care, & unit cost improvement programs
- Collaborate with enterprise data & technology partners to ensure the companys data strategy supports program performance monitoring & stakeholder reporting needs
- Build strong relationships within the organization including Regional VPs, Regional Medical Directors / Clinical Operations, Finance, Actuary, & Data
- Recruit & develop an industry-leading team
- Establish & maintain a cross-functional organizational & operating model to effectively set & accomplish Oscars shared goals & objectives
- Bachelors degree in finance, statistics, mathematics, analytics or related field
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in healthcare finance, healthcare consulting, network analytics or analysis on health care data
- Experience building, leading & growing teams
- Experience presenting to senior leadership, including C-level executives both internally & externally
- Proficiency working with query, business intelligence & statistical tools
- Proficiency in financial modeling & financial analysis needed to determine ROI in decision-making processes
- MBA or MS or equivalent advanced healthcare experience
- Experience with growth-stage enterprises
- Managed care experience
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds & perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, & we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, & volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.