ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm marketing team is a small group of fast-moving & creative thinkers who nurture & grow theSkimm brand & members engagement across all platforms. As the company continues to grow & advance our story, we have been diversifying our media products (podcasts, books, events, & more) & moving further into proprietary product development beyond media (software, products, & services). This is a unique community, content, & revenue driving role, all wrapped in our creative brand expression.
In this newly created Vice President role, you will be responsible for brand, community including Skimmbassadors, product marketing, & go-to-market campaigns. This role is equal parts strategic, creative, & execution oriented. You will lead the strategy, ideation, & execution of marketing campaigns at theSkimm always through the lens of our high brand standards. It requires someone who can leverage insights on our Skimmrs, products & market trends to build an innovative approach to messaging, campaign ideas, & tactics targeting Skimmrs at key moments in their user journey. Above all, you are creative & can lead concepting & creative reviews.
You will be critical to the success of the business long term & will be a player-coach leading a nimble team in collaboration with our broader team, which includes: growth, audience development, performance marketing, social media, & insights. This role will run an integrated approach, in partnership with leaders across the company, to drive key moments in the year, which ladder up to the greater brand vision & business goals. This role will report into the Chief Marketing Officer.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Create programs that drive customer growth, loyalty & increase brand trust
- Manage the brand & marketing strategy, messaging, & go-to-market planning
- Lead the evolution of our community, Skimmbassadors, squad & event strategy & implementation
- Lead product marketing (e.g. positioning, messaging, value propositions) for media / event & new software products
- Build out theSkimms Marketing function, including processes, tools & team
- Manage the team executing go-to-market campaigns for new products, on-going campaigns, & larger brand showcases
- Own stakeholder alignment around brand campaigns, project briefing, planning, budgeting, cross functional communication, & execution
- Success metrics will tie to quarterly & annual priorities aligned with: key brand metrics (awareness, relevance, favorability), acquisition, loyalty, & revenue
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
Were looking for a passionate, creative & strategic leader with a track-record of building brands & communities through storytelling. You will have a deep understanding of how brand & digital marketing intersect to drive growth in fast-moving environments & will be someone who builds strong partnerships across the industry & serves as an enabling force within the organization. You will demonstrate a bias toward action & be ready to roll up your sleeves to get the work done. You will have the flexibility & creativity of mindset to try different marketing approaches but can also pull from a track record of prior success.
- 10 years of brand / consumer marketing experience
- 4 years as a manager
- Experience building innovative brands & go to market campaigns
- Capacity to balance short-term needs with longer term vision
- Fluency in digital marketing, including a clear understanding of building brands & communities in digital channels, social media, content, etc.
- Understanding of the interplay between brand & performance marketing & how to best leverage across channels
- Exceptional project management & presentation skills
- Experience working at hyper-growth, fast-paced organizations
- A love of theSkimms brand & respect of its audience
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches & monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches & a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.