Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. In addition to the open source version of the DB, we offer CockroachCloud, a self-service, fully managed cloud offering of CockroachDB for anyone who needs to scale fast, survive anything, & thrive everywhere. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications.
About the Role
At Cockroach Labs, we strive to deliver delightful & intuitive user experiences to our customers. Creating such experiences that make data easy & painless is critical to our mission. We are looking for frontend software engineers to make these critical contributions to CockroachDB & CockroachCloud, create user interfaces that give users effortless observability into their database, & improve our frontend infrastructure & tooling.
In this role, you bring your expertise & commitment to excellence to collaborate with other engineers, SREs, & our product & design teams, as we work together to give developers a platform for their data. You will also have the opportunity to make a significant impact by helping establish the culture & practices for frontend engineering at Cockroach Labs.
- Build & deploy elegant solutions to complex UI challenges that our customers face when provisioning & managing their databases in CockroachCloud & operating large CockroachDB clusters on-premise.
- Contribute to the growth of CockroachCloud by designing, building, & testing compelling systems with a focus on the frontend.
- Make CockroachDB highly observable by transforming large & complex sets of data into sophisticated visualizations that give developers the insights they need to diagnose issues & monitor performance.
- Develop in React/TypeScript on the client side & Go on the server side, but if you don't know them you'll learn while you're here.
- Collaborate with Product, Design, & Engineering to create strategic customer value.
- Evolve our design system & frontend enablement processes to facilitate collaboration between engineering, design, marketing, & other stakeholders.
In the first month you will join your engineering team & start to learn about our production systems, software development workflow, & the architecture of CockroachDB & CockroachCloud. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology, company, & our culture..
After 3 months you'll be a fully-fledged member of your team & comfortable contributing to CockroachCloud & CockroachDB. You will begin to determine the parts of our product that most interest you & work with your manager to focus your efforts on projects that align with those areas & our goals.
As our team grows you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development for CockroachCloud & CockroachDB. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product & you play a crucial role in making CockroachCloud a joy to use. We also offer technical training & experienced mentorship to help you learn & grow into whatever you wish it to be.
- A passion for building beautiful, intuitive, & responsive user experiences that help people succeed at their jobs.
- Experience implementing user interfaces with tools like React, Redux, Vue.js, or Angular.
- An understanding of how to build cross-browser compatible experiences with seamless design patterns for complex UIs.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process & partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- 5+ years of relevant experience (preferred).
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Peter Mattis - Co-founder & Chief Technology Officer
Peter works on a bit of everything, from low-level optimization of code to refining the overall design. He was thrust into file systems early in his career at Inktomi & then learned the true meaning of scalability while working on Gmail & Colossus at Google. Before beginning his work day, he will have nursed his CrossFit addiction & dealt with the chaos of a three kid morning routine. You can set your watch by his daily departure at 4:30 pm to have dinner with his family.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality & innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, & consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology & culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, & search NYC for cannoli's with his wife & kids
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.