You are an outstanding attorney looking to join a groundbreaking team that is making investing smarter, easier, & more accessible for everyone. You are a problem solver with excellent legal judgment & outstanding attention to detail. You are mission-driven, business-oriented, independent, & quick to learn. You can communicate clearly & persuasively to a wide variety of audiences. You thrive in a dynamic, technology-driven environment & are comfortable taking action in the face of ambiguity. You are eager to make an impact & are always seeking new & improved ways of doing things.
A Day in the Life:
- Draft, review, negotiate, & interpret a wide variety of commercial agreements
- Advise business teams on commercial legal issues & provide tactical & strategic advice
- Partner with business teams on development & execution of new & existing products, initiatives, & lines of business
- Assist in managing corporate matters including board/shareholder matters & equity plan administration
- Work cross-functionally to identify, investigate & manage risks across the business
- Build & improve our standard form agreements & legal processes
- Help to resolve & avoid potential disputes
- Work closely with product, engineering, & our lines of business to navigate regulatory & compliance requirements, operational issues, & related matters
- Analyze & provide guidance to the company on evolving rules, regulations, & trends impacting the financial services industry
- Collaborate with outside counsel when necessary
What Were Looking For:
- A JD, admission to a state bar, & 4+ years of relevant in-house or firm experience
- A bias toward action & solving problems, not just issue spotting
- A passion for closing deals
- The ability to take ownership over your work & manage projects independently
- Excellent writing ability
- Comfort navigating complexity & creating simplicity where possible
- An adaptable mindset & innate curiosity
- Passion for Betterments product & mission
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means joining a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your health & well-being, & being on a journey of non-stop growth & evolution.
- Youll join a Community:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, & celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, & regular knowledge sharing.
- Youll stay Happy & Healthy:
- Regardless of where you are, we will ensure you're well set up & cared for, through gym reimbursements, a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, & a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- Youll have unlimited paid personal & vacation days, & a team that cares about your whole life, not just what youre working on.
- Youll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills & abilities through Betterment University courses & additional spending for outside learning.
- Contribute to our knowledge & transparent workspace through mentoring & career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, show & tells, etc.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $22 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers long-term returns & lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, & other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies & uses technology to deliver them to more than 500,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, & Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.