Were looking for engineers to help change the future of medicine.
The biggest bottleneck in bringing new treatments to patients is the clinical trial. On average, getting a drug through the trial process takes nearly a decade & frequently costs $100M+. And the problem is only getting worse.
TrialSpark is a technology company that brings new medical treatments to patients faster. Were reimagining the clinical trial by introducing a new model, using technology to streamline every aspect of the trial. To fulfill our mission, we partner with pharma, biotech, & digital health companies to run studies faster & more efficiently.
As Senior Data Engineer you will be responsible for TrialSparks clinical data platform. You will lead the engineering effort to ingest millions of Electronic Health Records, clean & structure this data for analytical & product use cases, & identify patients that will be served by a clinical trial. You will partner with the Data, Product, & Medical teams to set & achieve targets for data quality, & build a learning feedback loop to move the needle over time. You will evolve our data infrastructure to meet growing operational & data complexity & scale. You will become a domain expert in clinical data & its application to products & operations across the company. As a founding member of the Clinical Data team, you will play a significant role in developing the teams culture & strategy. Ultimately, you will leverage data to bring treatments to patients who may not have had access otherwise.
- Build & maintain pipelines to clean & structure complicated health data
- Evolve infrastructure & data architecture to accommodate product needs
- Partner with Data Analysts to assess the quality of our data & automate targeted improvements
- Implement data privacy & security as necessary, for example by implementing de-identification of Personally Identifiable Information
- Create tools to continuously monitor, test, & optimize our clinical data pipeline to ensure timely delivery & high quality
- Collaborate with operational & product partners to achieve business & mission outcomes
- Partner with our Data team to maintain & scale data warehousing & analytics as necessary (Redshift, DBT)
- Help enforce best practices & promote testability & maintainability throughout our systems & codebase
- Minimum 4 years of professional software development experience
- Professional experience building & maintaining data pipelines (e.g. Airflow, Prefect, or Luigi)
- Fluency in SQL & at least one other programming language
- Strong knowledge of data modeling
- Experience architecting data systems
- Comfortable with Linux, Docker, & cloud technologies
- Excellent problem solving & debugging skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to convey complicated systems to both technical & non-technical audiences
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
Nice to have
- Experience building cross functional feedback loops
- Experience with infrastructure as code tools (Ansible, Terraform, etc)
- Experience performance tuning row-based (PostgreSQL) & columnar (e.g. Redshift) data stores
- Experience working with healthcare data (Electronic Health Records, Insurance Claims, etc.)