Thrillist is looking for an energetic editor to join our news team & produce timely, fast-moving stories in Thrillists core coverage areas of food, drink, & travel, with a focus on New York City. The ideal candidate is someone who knows how content on the internet works & how people find & read stories across various platforms every day. You have an ability to spot & assign big stories before they blow up, advance stories with new angles, & oversee the publication of several stories per day. Youll need to be a subject matter expert in all things NYC, but also a generalist capable of writing & editing stories about everything from new restaurants to travel restrictions. Youll be based in our NYC office & report to the Editorial Director, News.
We value writing that is clean, clear, & useful to our audience, & we strive to be funny at the right times without trying too hard or being snarky. An editor in this role should work within the Thrillist brand framework, making important editorial decisions without a ton of minute-to-minute oversight. The best candidate will have a good understanding of how every story should be packaged & optimized for distribution on social, search, & newsletters.
Strong journalistic instincts & an eye for good reporting is equally important. Were seeking someone who isnt afraid to pick up the phone to chase down a fact check or go the extra mile to get an important story across the finish line. This person should also be eager to experiment with new topics & coverage areas, using data to help guide decisions based on learnings. They should be excited about mentoring staff writers without being anyones direct manager while assisting the Editorial Director of the vertical with higher-level planning.
The Assistant Editor will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nines valuesCare Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close, & Win Together.
WHAT YOULL DO:
- Edit 3-4 (typically 250-600 words), informative, punchy news stories every day.
- Write 1-2 (typically 250-600 words) of these stories per day in addition to editing.
- Use solid news judgment & editorial instincts to produce stories that align with the values of our site, & also attract large audiences, particularly on Facebook & via search.
- Write, edit, & fact-check copy, following our teams process checklist.
- Source quality images & video that perfectly reflect each story's content.
- Use third-party listening tools, but also devise your own unique & creative paths for finding the very best stories out there. This includes building & maintaining a strong rapport with sources.
- Devote consistent time to launching experimental coverage topics, tracking how they perform, then using those learnings to inform future plans.
- Seek out & cultivate working relationships with trusted sources to enrich your coverage with expert authority & the heads-up on big news.
- Use traffic data & insights to identify story opportunities & guide coverage.
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Editing & publishing 3 or more stories written by a Staff Writer & freelancers every day.
- Contributing at least 1 story of your own every day to the teams coverage.
- Providing in-the-moment editing feedback to the Staff Writer & mentor them with tips, advice, & tools to improve over time.
- Publishing stories drafts that are 100% free of factual errors, using our in-house style guide.
- Regularly applying insights & other lessons gleaned from story traffic performance when evaluating potential stories to write, brainstorming ideas.
- Finding, assigning, & writing stories that bring in significant traffic & contribute to our teams ambitious goals.
- Contributing to larger projects across the department in addition to fulfilling your daily duties.
- 2+ years of editing experience
- 2+ years of writing experience for a competitive digital publisher
- A fast news metabolism & an analytical mind. You jump on stories quickly & are always looking for the next big story.
- Fundamental understanding of SEO best practices & an eagerness to learn more.
- An interest in storytelling across genres (explainers, narrative, Q&As, etc.) & platforms (written, video, social, etc.).
- An eagerness to do the reporting that brings fresh, original angles to stories.
- A demonstrated talent for news analysis.
- Enthusiasm for mentoring writers who are early on in their careers.
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends, holidays, or whenever assigned.
- A constant commitment to producing & overseeing tight, clean copy.
- A strong understanding of how content on the internet works.
- Experience translating traffic data & insights into learnings.
Why Work at Group Nine:
We are committed to diversity, equity & inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I & executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Weve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support & meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer & religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted. We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
Thrillist is the #1 food, drink & travel brand for Gen Z & Millennials [source: Comscore Media Matrix & Plan Metrix, Q3 2020.] Thrillist serves as a guidebook for those that want new experiences & long to turn a good time into a great time. Our nonstop coverage of local culture inspires audiences to discover their world & celebrate every moment. In a serious world, we take fun seriously. In December 2016, Thrillist joined forces with NowThis, The Dodo, POPSUGAR & Seeker to form Group Nine Media -- a global top 10 publisher.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.