Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior HR Business Partner to join our People team at Cockroach Labs. As a strategic partner, you will closely align our talent & business objectives by directly supporting Roachers in the Product, Marketing, Finance, & Legal orgs. You will work closely with senior leaders & executives to provide hands-on & strategic input, insight, & advice with respect to employee relations, performance management, coaching, compensation, conflict management, organizational development, training, & more. Youre comfortable speaking up & driving initiatives forward despite any unexpected roadblocks. You are someone who is interested in making a significant impact & excels in a fast-paced, high-engagement environment with an extraordinary desire to innovate.
- Partner with senior leaders & executives to translate business objectives into what is required from a people perspective & represent the People Team in your day-to-day work with Product, Marketing, Finance, & Legal.
- Lead HR programs & processes (performance management, annual reviews, etc.) & provide HR expertise to ensure desired objectives & outcomes are attained.
- Offer thought leadership by coaching & advising leaders on key people matters, including but not limited to team cohesion, individual development, & organizational design.
- Develop multi-year people strategies & design approaches for diagnosing & enhancing organizational effectiveness & employee satisfaction.
- Analyze & interpret various employee reports (e.g., compensation, job levels, & attrition) to guide decision-making & provide proactive solutions to client groups.
- Partner across the HRBP Team to work on value-added programs in areas of training, development, career mobility, & job performance.
- Have foundational knowledge of federal & state laws & be willing to explore nuances or explain details to managers & teams, more broadly.
- Collaborate with the People team to champion & accelerate a culture of excellence in which people feel engaged & inspired to deliver top business results.
In your first 30 days, you will learn about our current processes, programs, & systems. You will meet with colleagues across the company & start building relationships that will help you better understand Cockroach Labs. It is imperative that you take this time to connect with fellow Roachers, so that you have an understanding of how we work & what we value.
In your first 60 days, you will gain familiarity with our Product, Marketing, Finance, & Legal orgs. Youll start to think of plans that will play to our strengths, mitigate our weaknesses, & build upon the foundation of processes & programs we offer.
After 3 months, you will be integrated into the team. You will be the primary HR point of contact working directly with our Product, Marketing, Finance, & Legal orgs. You will leverage strong relationships across our People Team for support & share feedback that can be deployed to improve people processes & programs company-wide.
- Minimum 8 years of experience required; preferred experience working in a fast-moving, high-growth organization
- 5 years of experience working with managers & leaders in an HRBP or People Partner capacity; supporting Product, Marketing, Finance, or Legal orgs preferred
- Relevant experience building & improving company culture & increasing employee engagement, & expertise in performance management
- Experience building & maintaining relationships with senior executives while influencing across multiple organizational layers
- A track record of strategic partnering with business leaders on multi-year company or org-wide people initiatives
- Experience demonstrating judgment & integrity in sensitive situations
- Superb communication skills, including effective facilitation, listening & writing
- Knowledge of HR programs & practices, including applicable state & federal employment laws & regulations
Reporting to Lauren Weber, Director, People Operations
Lauren is a culture vulture. Whether youre talking organizations, foods, or places... she likes to keep up with what's delicious, fun, & interesting. Born & raised in Kentucky, her career has spanned industries (government, nonprofit, education, tech) & locations (Berlin, District of Columbia, San Francisco, New York). Cringeworthy old-school HR stories are what make Lauren passionate about ensuring Roachers are supported & engaged by our people processes & programs.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $125,000 to $185,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, & geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary & fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidates qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, & competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, & recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life & disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, unlimited PTO, paid holidays, & parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.