Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About the Team:
The operations team at RTR owns the largest cost components of the business - transportation, inventory care & fulfillment labor. This is true of any e-commerce company, but the subscription model introduces added complexity as garments are rented multiple times. This means two way time in transit is critical to customer satisfaction. As a part of the reverse logistics process, returning garments to like-new condition is critical to the ROI of our inventory assets. This requires scaling productive operational processes for traditional e-commerce functions as well as dry cleaning, repairs & other garment care specialties. The operations team at RTR works to deliver the customer mission by delivering on key metrics & innovating through transportation methods, packaging, automation & garment science.
About the Job:
RTR is seeking a creative & self-motivated Quality Engineer to join our Garment Science & Quality team to lead high impact initiatives that will transform & scale garment care. In this position, you will report to the Director of Garment Science & Quality & partner with operations, facilities, external vendors, IT, tech & product, data science & analytics, finance & more cross-functional teams. This unique position will lead experimentation & innovation with cleaning equipment, chemistry & packaging to deliver & scale the RTR standard to our customers. This role provides the opportunity to drive strategic planning & tackle key challenges that will take RTR fulfillment & the customer experience to the next level.
What Youll Do:
- Design, launch & operationalize high-investment, transformative projects spanning across a breadth of operational areas, including cleaning chemistry, garment care automated equipment, quality, dry cleaning technology & packaging.
- Expand RTRs portfolio of proprietary solutions to unique operational challenges that differentiate us from competitors & traditional retailers. Current examples include our homegrown warehouse management systems, custom-designed automation systems, proprietary cleaning agents & processes, proprietary reusable packaging, scaled dry & wet cleaning capabilities & more.
- 2021 projects may include the implementation of flat pack storage in our inventory processes, launching machine learning & automation in our Quality Control process and/or redesigning reusable packaging.
- Serve as RTRs subject matter expert (SME) for the initiatives that you implement.
- Analyze the ROI of capital investments, process changes & other projects to drive decision making & provide strategic direction.
- Manage relationships with major international vendors & source new vendors to launch new automation systems, equipment & other solutions.
- Partner with the RTR tech & data science teams to integrate initiatives into RTR-developed WMS & MES.
- Design experiments & collect data in partnership with the operation & other cross-functional teams to review operational changes & measure the impact on key metrics.
- Industrial, Mechanical, Chemical, Quality or similar Engineering experience.
- Experience managing the quality of consumer facing products in a manufacturing or related environment.
- You have experience in leading/collaborating with operations, tech, transportation, design & engineering teams in the pursuit of building KPIs & products
- Experience with managing fast track experimentation & implementation to improve first pass yield & quality metrics
- Relentless desire to improve & go beyond the discrete task at hand by applying large-scale strategic thinking.
- Strong analytical background & the ability to apply that at some level to both readily available data. Strong Excel skills are a must; SQL skills are a plus.
- Experience in leading/collaborating with operations, tech & data science teams in the pursuit of building KPIs & products.
- Safety is your overriding priority & you think safety first in every situation.
- You possess strong interpersonal skills & are seen as a natural team leader. You are a team player who works well with others in the face of challenges & a common mission.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.