Were one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because were making homeownership simpler, faster & most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what its like to buy & own a home in this country, were building things that dont exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, were one of Crains Best Places to work
- Were #11 on Fortunes Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 ons 2019 5000 Fastest-Growing Companies
- Weve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech & finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, & others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire homebuying journey.
A Better opportunity:
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than ever before to own a home & build wealth rather than rent for life. Our tech team is small but growing, & you will be a big part of defining the technical direction & culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks & libraries, & doing as you see fit to solve problems.
We also offer above-market compensation & equity, as well as great benefits.
- Open source authors of popular projects likeAnnoyandHolder
- Engineers who are not afraid to get their hands dirty with product
- Mortgage subject matter experts eager to teach & reinvent the mortgage industry
- A Head of Engineering who writes afun blog
- We continuously ship code to production 50-100 times every day
- Node.js, Python (3.6) & Scala for services
- React, webpack 4, SCSS, Ember.js on the frontend
- TypeScript / ES7 across the stack
- Postgres for our relational databases, ActiveMQ for our message broker, Redis for caching, Redshift for analytics
- Kubernetes, Docker, & Terraform for deployment & devops
- AWS infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, & much more
Better projects you could own:
- Build a system to evaluate thousands of rules & do a combinatorial search to find out whats the best loan & how much can you afford
- Build a way to match borrowers to programs to calculate & surface eligible discounts to them
- Work on our Kubernetes cluster that helps us deploy 50-100 times/day with no downtime
- Improve our CI pipelines that run thousands of tests across hundreds of thousands of lines of code in a few minutes (with about 85% coverage)
- Build a seamless customer facing experience which brings borrowers through the most complicated financial transaction of their life with confidence & ease
- Integrate with email, text messages, & phone calls to unify all inbound/outbound communication & deliver real time updates to borrowers
- Automate & augment the flow of data from our data stores so it can be used to drive decision making in our company
- Work on integrating our loan management system with third party tools to bring us closer to automating the loan underwriting process
If youre interested in solving complex problems that have a real world impact, get in touch!
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Smarts: book & street. We use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy & Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you communicate well with your fellow engineers & project managers as well as work across the organization with our internal users?
- Intellectual Honesty. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you dont understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking & talking to figure this stuff out, but you cant wait to leave the conversation & build it.