Manager, Technical Writing - Engineering (New York, NY)
At Squarespace, we enable millions to build a brand & transact with their customers online. That means delivering impactful, reliable software products to our customers. Technical writers contribute to that mission by maximizing engineer efficiency through technical documentation.
We're looking for a manager to grow our Technical Writing team in size, influence, & individual skill. You'll work closely with your direct reports, as well as managers & directors across Engineering to ensure your team delivers excellent technical docs.
This role sits in Engineering & reports to the Director of TPM & Technical Writing.
In this role you'll
- Lead a team of 2-3 technical writers responsible for engineering documentation
- Expand the existing TW team by hiring & managing talented technical writers
- Provide the vision for Technical Writing at Squarespace
- Translate that vision into strategic direction & goals
- Build semiannual team roadmaps with your team
- Lead the development & continuous improvement of documentation processes, standards, & tools
- Guide your direct reports on high-priority projects, using project management & coaching techniques, & ensuring documentation is of excellent quality & completed in a timely manner
- Develop & maintain strong working relationships with key stakeholders across Engineering, including Engineering Leadership, to plan & identify documentation deliverables that meet audiences' needs
What we're looking for
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of technical writers
- 7+ years related experience in technical writing
- A passion for leading & developing others
- A strong commitment to fostering a culture of inclusion, collaboration, & trust
- Experience managing compensation, building out career levels, recruiting, & hiring
- Outcome-focused thinking with the ability to foster ideas, navigate complexity, & work autonomously
- Ability to efficiently & effectively navigate ambiguity to identify audiences' needs
- Audience-centric, effective, & impeccable writing skills
- Familiarity with docs-as-code tools & practices, such as Git, GitHub, Bitbucket, static site generators, & Markdown
- Ability to work in a flexible work environment
In your first three months, you'll
- Get to know your direct reports & the projects & tools they work with
- Begin building relationships with Engineering directors & managers, & understanding their documentation needs & priorities
- Understand Squarespaces goals & strategy
- Start taking on management responsibilities, such as recruiting & performance management
- Begin setting long-term strategic priorities for your team
- Review & improve the TW career levels & staffing plans
- Begin drafting your career development plan with your manager
Working as a Technical Writer at Squarespace
Technical Writers at Squarespace increase engineer efficiency by communicating expertly through the written word, working collaboratively, being radically candid, & leaving egos at the door. We treat processes & tools not as ends, but as means to reach business goals & empower our customers. We lift each other up & provide equal opportunities for growth.
Technical Writers at Squarespace also have the option to contribute to Squarespace culture in ways meaningful to them, for example, joining or leading Employee Resource Groups, planning or attending (currently virtual) team events, & joining game nights.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design & sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people from individuals & local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the worlds most iconic businesses to share their stories with the world. Squarespaces team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin & Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Free lunch & snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) & pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
*Thank you to our friends at Awaken for inspiring the structure of this job description.