What is Box?
Box is the market leader for Cloud Content Management. Our mission is to power how the world works together. Box is partnering with enterprise organizations to accelerate their digital transformation by creating a single platform for secure content management, collaboration & workflow. We have an amazing opportunity to further establish ourselves as leaders in space, & we need strong advocates to help us achieve that goal. Today, Box powers over 100,000 businesses, including 70% of the Fortune 500 who trust Box to manage their content in the cloud. Our Warsaw office is an incredibly exciting addition to our EMEA expansion. We're already in the UK, France, & Germany, & the new Poland location will act as a global engineering & product development hub alongside our headquarters in Redwood City, California.
Why Box Needs You?
The Data Platform infrastructure powers many of Boxs core products & features like Box Shield, Box Drive, real-time notifications etc., as well as critical backend services such as search indexing, conversion etc. It handles petabytes of data & processes millions of messages per second & enables product innovation by making it really easy for Box developers to build applications for storing & managing large collections of structured data. It manages Boxs entire events pipeline & streaming APIs for users, & their backing metadata stores. It also provides the backend for delivering all the notifications to our user applications across various platforms. Data Platform powers asynchronous job processing for all the internal Box services as well, via its Pub/Sub messaging layer & its homegrown queueing service.
Notifications team is part of Boxs Data Platform, its goal is to provide unified end-to-end experience to all Box clients using every channel (web, desktop, mobile, mail) - right channel at the right time. We are primarily working on building greenfield, GCP-hosted services using Java 17, Kubernetes & various storage & streaming technologies like Firestore, BigTable, BigQuery, PubSub. We are looking for engineers to help us build user settings & user management layer with future shift towards building self-service capabilities for Data Platform.
Data Platform in numbers:
- 100+ Terabytes of data ingested per week
- 40+ million email notifications sent per week
- 5+ million cloud core CPU hours per month
- 13+ Petabytes in datalake storage
- 2+ million clients connected to realtime notifications
- 150+ billion user events ingested per week
What You'll Do?
- Develop greenfield frontend product features using React.js for Boxs notifications platform
- Build new APIs in the backend & integrate them with frontends (Fullstack only)
- Support existing system written in jQuery
- Build & maintain automated tests
- Collaborate with Product Management & UX to help refine requirements & break down complex projects into meaningful, deliverable units
- Model best practices in crafting systems with sound architecture, reliability, scalability, observability & cost efficiency
- Communicate technical ideas & direction across the organization
- Attend & engage in daily stand ups, team meetings, manager 1:1s
- Work collaboratively with other engineers, team members & across teams
- Play a role in developing & fostering Box culture in the newly created office
- Represent Box Poland internally & externally
Who You Are?
- 5+ years of Software Development experience in distributed systems.
- You have experience designing, building, deploying & maintaining high quality, scalable software
- You are excited about solving complex technical problems using data-driven solutions
- You act like an owner & strive to do work you're proud of, both technically & in your team interactions
- You have test automation experience
Bonus Points For
- Experience with API development, versioning & testing
- Backend coding skills - knowing any other backend language will be fine: Java (preferably), Python, Scala, Go
- Experience or eagerness to participate in knowledge sharing activities like blog posts (we write our own tech blog: https://medium.com/box-tech-blog), speaking at public or in-house events (we are having an internal open tech forum twice a month)
Percentage Of Time Spent
- 80% on coding & design
- 20% on meetings, on-call, support & documentation