As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform. Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Editorial team is at the core of everything New York Magazine does. Our team strikes the perfect balance of content thats smart & funny so that our readers know everything they need to know to navigate urban life & a fast-moving culture, whether thats politics, culture, food, or style trends.
Were looking for a sharp-eyed, Senior Designer to work in the New York magazines Art Department focusing on The Strategist, the ASME-award winning section that covers all areas of urban living new, especially-excellent restaurants; obsessively-vetted products; enviable home design interiors; guides to city-specific obstacles; & deeply-informed travel itineraries.
The ideal candidate is a strong team player with a love of typography; complex layout design; information graphics; an interest in finding & commissioning new illustration talent; and, of course, a love of the city. Opportunity to grow to work on other sections, features, digital, or other editorial projects based on experience level.
For consideration, please include a link to your portfolio in your application.
What youll do:
- Take ownership of the design & workflow of New Yorks Strategist section, working closely with the design director & with photo editors & Strategist editors, to put out a 10-12 page section in the biweekly print magazine
- Work with design director & culture photo editor to present photo & design options for editorial consideration & approval
- Work closely with digital art director to plan art treatments for print & digital renditions
- Commission illustration & contribute other clever visual solutions for articles
- Design service-driven packages & special issue extravaganzas, with an emphasis on organizing dense information in an elegant, playful, reader-friendly way
What youll bring:
- At least 3-5 years of experience in magazine design or similar studio work on editorial projects
- Demonstrated ability to create complex layouts & package stories creatively
- Time management skills & the ability to juggle multiple projects & deadlines
- A love of print media, & the excitement of working in a late-breaking news environment
- The ability to work in a highly collaborative work environment; you must be able to take feedback, direction & have flexibility under tight deadlines
- Experience commissioning & cultivating working relationships with illustration talent
- Creating editorial photo collage art solutions preferred but not required
- Proficiency with InDesign, Photoshop, & Illustrator; experience with K4 or similar content management system is a plus, but not required
- A Bachelors degree in Art or Graphic Design preferred, but commensurate experience & a strong portfolio accepted
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.