Mozilla Firefoxs Cloud Operations Team is looking for a Cloud Operations Engineer to help us build & maintain the infrastructure that supports Firefoxs many features. Youll combine skills from DevOps, SRE, systems administration, & software development to influence product architecture & evolution, by crafting reliable cloud-based infrastructure for internal & external services.
The 10-member Cloudops team owns the infrastructure for about 70 services, ranging in scale from 2 users to 20 million concurrent connections, which are created by about a dozen different developer teams. Python is the most common language, though Nodejs, Go, Rust, & even Perl are also represented. When you take a look at the source of these services (most are publicly available in https://github.com/mozilla-services/ & https://github.com/mozilla/), youll notice that all are dockerized following the standards at https://github.com/mozilla-services/dockerflow.
Each service run by our team has a primary ops engineer as the main point of contact & a secondary to assist with engineering & on-call responsibilities, so no one person has to be familiar with every technology used in every service. Most services require on-call using pagerduty, but we regard pages as indicators of process problems & invest in the root cause analysis necessary changes to prevent failures from recurring. Although our top priority is keeping everything working well, youll often have the flexibility to balance your workload with services aligned with your skills & interests.
We standardize our infrastructure code across projects, so that your work in adding a feature to your own services infrastructure can easily be reused by the rest of the team. In our infrastructure Git repos, youll maintain, improve, & review automation, Python scripts, & monitoring code. If you've solved similar problems with other tools, it's ok to apply with limited expertise in the exact technologies we're using.
This position is available in Canada & select locations in Europe, in office or remote. The team is currently composed of more remote than office-based engineers.
As a cloud operations engineer at Mozilla, you will
- Maintain & improve automation & monitoring tools
- Learn some Puppet, Ansible, Terraform, & Helm to configure & manage services run in AWS & GCP
- Help developers adapt applications to run in Docker & Kubernetes
- Write, maintain, & review infrastructure code
- Fix pages when on call, & then help improve the infrastructure to prevent the problem from recurring
- Add features to our cross-project infrastructure code, often in Python, so that improvements to your service can help other team members
- Collaborate on GitHub with teammates & developers
Your Professional Profile
- Degree & 2 years of experience (or 6 years experience) related to software development & operations
- Experience developing software or working with software development teams
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure, including CI/CD & configuration management
- Communication & collaboration skills
As our team works across multiple areas, you should be curious & interested in learning new things. You will have the opportunity to grow technically across the stack with mentorship from senior peers across the organization. We are excited to see any additional experience with:
- Database administration
- Open source software involvement
- Network architecture & administration
- Web application design & development
- Configuration management
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open & free is better than closed & controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform & help create more opportunity & innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.