At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered & self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, & customer service. Since our launch in 2009, weve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - & we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud & believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable & fast-growing business, with a loyal 11 million members who believe that rental is the future
About the Job:
As Corporate Counsel, you will have an immediate impact on key aspects of Rent the Runways innovative business. You will partner directly with business & product teams across the company to give advice on a broad range of legal issues, including commercial transactions, privacy, & intellectual property matters, with a particular focus on product & regulatory counseling & employment issues. You will field matters of first impression at the intersection of fashion & technology that demand creative, practical lawyering. If you like challenging old systems & want to create the future of fashion retail, then we want to hear from you. This role reports to the Senior Corporate Counsel.
What Youll Do:
- Serve as the lead attorney & advisor for Rent the Runways product initiatives. Advise internal teams, including marketing & product, on how the company can work within the law to launch innovative products & initiatives.
- Analyze products & features built by Rent the Runways talented engineering & product teams & advise such teams with the ability to balance commercial, marketing, compliance & privacy concerns.
- Design training programs for various business teams, including HR, Product, Engineering, Marketing & Content.
- Structure, draft, & negotiate a variety of commercial & intellectual property agreements, ranging from standard contracts to complex strategic partnerships critical to the company.
- Advise on advertising & marketing matters, including handling regulatory issues regarding digital media & reviewing & clearing marketing content for publication.
- Create scalable processes for triaging a high volume of disparate legal issues from all areas of the business.
You Should Have:
- JD & New York state bar membership or registered in-house attorney status in New York.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Experience with legal issues related to engineering, marketing & product development for tech & e-commerce companies.
- Strong commercial negotiation & drafting skills.
- A practical, business-oriented approach & ability to translate legal issues into clear guidance for non-lawyers.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic growth company.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong internal relationships & influence across departments.
- Ability to prioritize & manage multiple critical projects, working independently & under tight deadlines.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the happiness & well-being of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Many other amazing perks!