Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building features that developers love
DigitalOceans Storage Team is a remote team that builds & operates cloud-scale distributed storage powering internal & customer-facing services & products. Were creating flexible & powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly, easily, & safely as possible. Were looking for engineers who can strengthen a team responsible for end to end design, implementation, & operations of DigitalOceans storage systems. We are looking for a senior engineer who will work on a small team to develop across the whole stack of our current & future systems. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Storage team. This job can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC & Cambridge, MA, according to candidate preference.
What Youll Be Doing:
- Programming in Go, Python, & other languages
- Supporting the operations & management of distributed systems
- Collaborating with an agile, self-motivated team of peers
- Consuming from & contributing to free/open source software communities
- Solving interesting problems at cloudscale in a technically rewarding environment
What Well Expect From You:
- Experience developing, testing, & shipping well-engineered code (Go a plus!)
- Experience testing, automating, operating, & troubleshooting production systems
- Experience with Linux operating systems & familiarity with networking fundamentals
- Experience with containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) & service-oriented architectures
- Experience consuming and/or interacting with a variety of data stores such as relational databases, key-value stores, timeseries, full-text search engine, & message queues (Specific experience with MySQL, TimescaleDB, Prometheus, Kafka, Elasticsearch, & Consul a plus!)
- Experience contributing meaningfully to discussions on architectures, implementations, design patterns, & processes with the ability to succinctly convey ideas to peers & mentees
- Familiarity with concurrency / parallelism models in a modern programming language
- Familiarity with HTTP & RPC servers, TLS, DNS, & Layer 4 & Layer 7 load balancing
- Bonus: Experience with gRPC, S3, & distributed storage systems such as Ceph
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC & Cambridge & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office & take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in office.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!