As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform. Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Editorial team is at the core of everything New York Magazine does. Our team strikes the perfect balance of content thats smart & funny so that our readers know everything they need to know to navigate urban life & the fast-moving culture, whether thats politics, culture, food, shopping, or style trends.
Vulture is looking for an observant writer who, frankly, spends too much time online & can translate what they see there into great news & feature stories. Someone immersed in the people, moments, & trends driving conversation on platforms ranging from TikTok & Twitter to YouTube & Twitch; who is familiar with the ways pop culture fandom is expressed on the internet; who understands & enjoys studying the life cycle of an entertainment meme; who recognizes how online creators are influencing entertainment & culture, & is interested in treating their work as an artform that is as vital & worthy of critical consideration as the other subjects Vulture covers.
What you'll do:
- Report & write articles including narrative features, profiles, essays, interviews, explainers, & the various other formats that appear on Vulture.
- Help define our approach to online culture coverage have a strong perspective on who & what we should cover, & how.
- Stay on top of the creative, industry, & technology aspects of this ever-evolving ecosystem.
- Think about how to express our online culture coverage on mediums including social platforms, live events, video, & podcasts, & work with members of those teams to execute on your ideas.
What you'll bring:
- 4+ years writing feature-length stories, particularly reported ones
- A grasp of the online culture landscape, including Twitter, TikTok, Snapchat, YouTube, Twitch, Reddit, Discord, & emerging platforms such as Clubhouse / Twitter Spaces.
- Comfort & ability to work within the 24/7 news cycle
- Experience telling stories in video form a plus
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.