Topic is looking for an Assistant Editor who is a bit of a tech-nerd with an interest in entertainment & storytelling. The ideal candidate will be extremely organized, with a passion for process & operations.
While not specifically a creative position, this job supports the creative community & is an amazing opportunity for the right person to grow with the company.
The Assistant Editor will be an integral member of the Topic team & will report to the Sr. Post Production Coordinator.
- Asset Management
- Collate technical deliverables including video files, caption files, textless elements & alpha graphic channels
- Download high volumes of content, including batch deliveries of series & films
- Organize all media assets for current & future edits
- Quality Control
- Watch video files down for any video or audio hits or miscellaneous issues
- Remove flash frames, jump cuts, extraneous foreign graphics, or any other video errors to meet delivery requirements
- Versioning files for all closed captioning needs for various SVOD channels
- Syncing closed captioning as well as foreign language subtitling
- Log all technical metadata & format based on the metadata requirements
- Reformat acquired TV series & films in compliance to streaming standards & practices
- Build out sequences in Adobe Premiere Pro in the correct specs for publishing to respective channels
- Upload all versions of the video & caption files for delivery & archive
- Other appropriately related projects/duties as assigned
Background & Qualifications:
- 2 - 4 years post production experience
- Technically proficient with working knowledge of Creative Cloud & all affiliated software
- Knowledge of various audio & video file types, compressions, aspect ratios
- Highly organized with an ability to multitask & strong attention to detail
- Interest in operations, creating systems & process
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in video workflow
- Strong desire to learn more about post process, technologies, etc.
- Ability to be hands on as needed, owner mentality & accountability is a must
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand & entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio & digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction & nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach challenging, compelling & unconventional reflects our commitment to discovering & amplifying independent new voices, & supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib & Field of Vision, & plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer - People of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.