Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust & passionate community of developers, teams, & businesses around the world. We believe that todays entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating experiences that our customers will love.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will join a growing Data & Analytics organization that collaborates with decision-makers across the organization to catalyze business growth by providing insightful & actionable analysis, insights & data products. The D&A team is hands-on with a wide variety of datasets, including user data, product behavior data, financial/payment data, upper-funnel marketing data, trust & safety data, & operational/infrastructure data.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Develop & implement scalable processes for ingesting, transforming, connecting, storing & delivering data sources of varying levels of complexity & scale
- Focus on production status & data quality of the data environment & data products being delivered to the business, & effectively communicate to internal user base regarding production status
- Work closely with product engineering teams to integrate data products into customer-facing experience
- Interface closely with data infrastructure, engineering & technical operations teams to ensure reliability & scalability of the data environment & availability of data product services
- Pioneer initiatives around data quality, integrity, security & governance
- Work closely with other members of the Data & Analytics team, including Analytics & Data Science to understand evolving needs as more complex data models are introduced for reporting & data science
What We'll Expect from You:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, or other quantitative field; Masters or PhD strongly preferred
- Significant experience in custom ETL design, implementation & maintenance, including serving machine learning models in production for multiple high-growth companies, preferably those with technical products
- Track record of developing & evolving complex data environments & intelligence platforms for business users
- Demonstrable ability to relate high-level business requirements to technical ETL & data infrastructure needs, including underlying data models & scripts
- History of proactively identifying forward-looking data engineering strategies, utilizing cutting-edge technologies, & implementing at scale
- Hands-on experience with schema design & dimensional data modeling
- Understanding of statistical modeling, machine learning & data mining concepts
- Demonstrable critical thinking & analytical skills, including the ability & confidence to make conclusions & recommendations from data
- Experience interacting with key stakeholders in different fields, interpreting challenges & opportunities into actionable engineering strategies
- Experience with Big Data/distributed frameworks such as Spark, Kubernetes, Hadoop, Hive, Presto,
- Experience with job schedulers; Airflow, Luigi, Azkaban, etc.
- Experience with continuous integration & automation tools & processes
- Advanced SQL & relational database knowledge (MySQL, PostgreSQL) in addition to warehousing & dimension modeling
- Scripting in Python required, experience with Scala/Go a plus
- Programming against APIs required
- Experience with Snowflake and/or Looker a plus
- Effective communication & interpersonal skills
Why Youll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other & take our no jerks rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do & invest deeply in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, & vision benefits for employees & their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, & a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to & from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles & reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, & education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC & offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. Were also very remote-friendlywe use Slack to communicate across the companyand all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needswhether remote or in HQ.
- We value diversity & inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer & we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Data & Analytics
Want to learn more about our Data & Analtyics team? Clickhere!