Thrillist is seeking a seasoned Creative Director to lead the big picture creative strategy & visual identity for the brand, ensuring that the vision is properly articulated & consistent across every touchpoint & expression. The Creative Director will lead a large team of creatives in developing innovative & brand defining work that is featured across our website, written editorial, video, social platforms (including social-first original content), newsletters, events, any other assets / collateral / brand extensions. The Creative Director will have an obsession with creative excellence & innovation, constantly seeking unique & surprising ways to build a passionate fanbase for Thrillist.
- Lead, nurture & inspire a creative team that includes graphic designers, motion designers, illustrators, photographers, copywriters & producers in shaping the most compelling creative solutions for Thrillist & consistently producing industry-leading work.
- Develop & produce a comprehensive visual philosophy & supporting style guide for a fully deliberated, purposeful, & memorable new brand identity.
- Establish the creative strategy for written editorial driving creative solutions to support all articles & create elevated packages in partnership with the product team to support tentpoles, major franchises & key editorial / brand moments.
- Lead the creation of all motion work from show packages for all video series to social video to gifs & any other animated needs.
- Envision & champion the entire brand experience on Instagram, Snapchat Discover, TikTok & any future emerging platforms including content creation, curation & all social first video efforts.
- Own the creative strategy behind our newsletters curating the shop window for the most engaged 1:1 consumer experience. Set the voice, aesthetic & content selection while working closely with audience development to gauge performance & pivot strategy / optimize when necessary.
- Lead brand creative for any consumer, trade & internal touchpoints including all Thrillist events, stunts, promotional / advertising initiatives & internal marketing efforts.
- Lead the photography direction & production for all places where the brand lives - including conceiving & managing all original shoots & creating a formidable asset library that can be uniquely Thrillist.
- Liaise with audience development to gain insights that can help inform creative concepts & fully understand audience behavior & best practices. Be able to identify & translate learnings from content performance where needed to pivot & workshop creative approach.
- Play an integral role in the core management team driving all key decisions shaping the future of the brand working in lockstep with the Chief Content Officer, Head of Video & Editor-in-Chief.
- Manage & juggle the workflow & output of the creative team, ensuring all projects are delivered on time, on spec & on budget.
- Minimum 10 years leading a creative team at a brand or agency
- Superlative creative instincts & impeccable taste, with a keen ability to problem solve any challenge & bring clear vision to the visual direction of the brand.
- Creative leader who thrives on collaboration & can nurture, inspire & mentor a multi-disciplined team to bring their A game on a consistent basis
- Self-starter that is comfortable navigating white space
- Scrappiness & resourcefulness - no fear of getting your hands dirty
- Proficient in graphic & motion design software, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign AfterEffects, PremierePro, etc
We have amazing people.We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We value development.We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
We care about you.We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, & federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future.We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity & inclusivity.Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, & tea.Who needs anything else?
About Group Nine
Group Nine reaches more people on mobile than any publisher in the U.S. Our mission is to tell great stories that spark action & make a real difference. With nearly 45M Americans engaging with our content every day [source: Nielsen Digital Content Ratings, January 2019], Group Nine's brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 70% of Americans ages 18-34 every month [source: Nielsen, December 2018]. Audiences spend nearly 3 billion minutes a month engaging with our category-defining brands - NowThis, the no. 1 most watched mobile news brand in the world; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand on digital; Thrillist, the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand in the U.S. In 2017, Group Nine acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion & Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.