Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of digital currency & public blockchains for payments, commerce & financial applications worldwide. Circle's platform has supported over 100 million transactions worth tens of billions of dollars, with nearly 10 million retail customers, over a thousand businesses, while storing & securing more than $5 billion in digital currency assets. Circle is also a principal developer of USD Coin (USDC), which together with Coinbase & the Centre Consortium oversees the standards & protocol for what has become the fastest growing, regulated, fully-reserved stablecoin. USDC now stands at well over $10 billion market cap & is adding nearly $300 million net new digital dollars in circulation every week. Today, Circle's transactional services, business accounts, & platform APIs are giving rise to a new generation of financial services & commerce applications that hold the promise of raising global economic prosperity for all through programmable internet commerce.
What youll be part of:
With the mission To raise global economic prosperity through programmable internet commerce, Circle was founded on the belief that blockchains & digital currency will rewire the global economic system, creating a fundamentally more open, inclusive, efficient & integrated world economy. We envision a global economy where people & businesses everywhere can more freely connect & transact with each other with new technologies for digital money. We believe such a system can raise prosperity for people & companies everywhere. Our mission is powered by the values we espouse & which we expect all Circlers to respect. We are Multistakeholder, serving the needs of our customers, our shareholders, our employees & families, our local communities & our world. Furthermore, we are also Mindful, Driven by Excellence, & High Integrity.
Engineering at Circle:
In 2020, Circle unveiled Circle APIs: a set of solutions & smarter technology to help businesses accept payments in a more global, scalable & efficient alternative to traditional banking rails (spoiler: were using USD Coin under the hood).
Over the next 12 months, were going to rapidly grow our API customer base & enable even more businesses to easily integrate & benefit from the breakthrough of programmable money on the internet.
If youre data-driven, interested in building something meaningful & would love to work in an entrepreneurial environment, we cant wait to hear from you.
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multistakeholder - you have dedication & commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees & families & local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener & to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission & our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity & you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open & honest communication, & you hold yourself to very high moral & ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty & intolerance.
Here is our team hierarchy for individual contributors:
Principal Software Engineer (V)
Staff Software Engineer (IV)
Senior Software Engineer (III)
Software Engineer II
Software Engineer (I)
What youll be responsible for:
As a Principal Software Engineer on the Circle Platform Services team, you will lead teams technically to build scalable microservices that are responsible for reliable & secure APIs that transfer value & assets across all blockchain protocols (think Bitcoin & Ethereum, for example) as well as traditional banking protocols (think credit cards, bank transfers etc).
What you'll work on:
- Challenging (and fun!) problems centered around digital currencies & their adoption. Did we mention that Circle launched a programmable dollar called USD Coin (or USDC)?
- Collaborating with our Product & Engineering teams to design, develop, test & ship phenomenal Circle features
- Building publicly accessible APIs that make it simple for developers to integrate with complex payment systems.
- Integrating Platform Services with leading banks & financial technologies to allow an ever greater number of Circle customers access to fast, secure & low cost payment channels.
- Writing the infrastructure to deliver great payment experiences, including data sources (SQL or NoSQL), messaging systems & APIs
- Extending Circles in-house blockchain systems infrastructure to support the tokenization of the world.
What you'll bring to Circle (not all required):
- 12+ years of professional software development experience in object oriented languages like Java & Go.
- Cross-functional partnership to align teams with external stakeholders.
- Led teams technically on architecture & design.
- Expert in one of the domains of API design, payments processing, risk/fraud detection, data engineering, machine learning, or blockchains.
- Experience with payment systems like credit cards & bank transfers
- Deep understanding of API design & REST principles
- Deep experience with cloud services (AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure, etc)
- Experience with container orchestration systems like Kubernetes or EKS, ECS
- Deep experience with SQL databases & designing schemas
- Deep experience in the deployment of production-quality, scalable software
- A champion on setting coding standards & code quality -- a desire to have great test coverage to enable continuous delivery
- Excellent communication skills, able to collaborate with remote teams, share ideas & present concepts effectively
- Self-starter, you enjoy moving at a fast pace, shipping software that improves the user experience & constantly improving your work with little supervision
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.