Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why & Where
Twilio is looking for a Technical Lead who is excited about working with a world class team to solve some of the hardest problems at Twilio through excellent software design & implementation. Among them are enabling our customers to grow & expand globally by giving developers simple APIs to access the worlds communication channels & building the systems that power the growth of the worlds most innovative communications company.
- You like to think at scale & design, develop & operate production [micro]services that meet goals of low latency, high availability, resiliency & quality in a cloud environment.
- You bring experience with complex distributed systems, working across stack both in backend systems, REST APIs & frontend systems.
- You are a Java enthusiast & professional. There is at least one framework in which you can be called an expert.
- You have worked with relational database clusters, data pipeline systems & frameworks to build high-performance RESTful web services.
- You appreciate the value of great DevOps, & strive for reliability, speed, & quality from dev to stage to prod.
- Even better, you understand designing for data integrity & secure data management.
- Prior experience working with event sourcing is a plus.
- Interest in and/or experience with communications, telephony, & multi-user systems is a plus.
- 7+ years of practical experience in building high scale, mission critical systems.
Bachelors degree or equivalent experience required.
A great day for you would be working alongside a small & collaborative team, whiteboarding ideas, building APIs & UIs used by all Twilio customers, as well as constantly improving services that power Twilios top products & also generate significant revenue. We are working on enabling millions of developers to use Twilio across the world & help companies expand their business globally. At the same time, you will be helping more junior developers by mentoring them, providing guidance, & positively influencing their careers.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Lead & mentor your junior teammates.
- DONT SETTLE: Drive quality by writing unit tests, functional tests, & performance tests in a continuous delivery environment & evangelize their use across the team.
- BE AN OWNER: Support production operations, building, releasing & assisting with teams on-call. Teams are small & empowered so that you can move fast & ship to production multiple times in a 2 week sprint.
- DRAW THE OWL: You will work within an org to provide solutions to manage ever growing data & implement the solutions using your deep Java understanding & experience.
- BE BOLD: Put into practice fundamentals of distributed event-based systems, design new systems & keep the existing systems running well.
The Phone Numbers team enables our customers to scale their business in as many countries as possible. From the developer who just signed up to try out a new idea & got their first Twilio numbers to gigantic companies who run their products in over 100 countries & use tens of thousands of phone numbers, our team simplifies getting reliable Phone Numbers in an ever growing list of countries, which is a top factor of growth for the whole company.
We work on solutions to onboard high-volume customers & bring their business to Twilio. Some of the services we provide include transparent & automated phone number porting, hosted SMS & provisioning shortcodes. We also work on solutions to ensure we always have up-to-date inventory & can satisfy customers demand for different types of phone numbers across the world.
Twilio is empowering the worlds developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development & your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed & we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems & creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion & innovation & we want you & your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, wellness credits, Wednesday Night dinners, & more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work & home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously & purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do & be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl & not be beholden to one playbook.