Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, & offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) & select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
Betterments mission is to empower people to do whats best for their money so that they can live better. As a Sr. Product Manager on our Custody team, youll be responsible for executing against & helping to shape the Custody product strategy roadmap as it relates to fulfilling our broker-dealers multiple mandates:
- Maximize Efficiency - How can we make our software better, or build automation to prevent mission-critical teams from doing repetitive, manual workflows.
- Minimize Risk - The larger we grow within a strict regulatory environment, the more our operational mistakes cost both us, & most importantly our customers.
- Enable Growth - While executing the above, we must also enable our business lines to ship new revenue generating products that delight our customers.
You are a talented product practitioner that has mastered the ability to navigate multiple concurrent projects from a high level & able to also quickly dive into the weeds with engineers as needed to address technical, project-specific roadblocks. You relish rolling up your sleeves, working shoulder-to-shoulder with both highly technical & non-technical teams across the organization throughout the entire product development lifecycle. You are highly adept in prioritizing effectively & making challenging trade offs across a range of tasks & initiatives.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, & performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterments total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $145,000 - $160,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental & vision benefits, & a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Understand the financial pain points that Americans in our target market experience on a regular basis, & serve as their advocate when making back-end decisions that impact their front-end experience
- Assist in the creation & execution of the Custody product strategy as it relates to the back-end record keeping & money movement systems, core to the Custody domain
- Partner with front-end product managers to help shape the product requirements with respect to the Custody build & actively participate throughout its development lifecycle
- Proactively identify opportunities to build internal tooling that increases the efficiency of our Custody engineering & Operations teams to unlock bandwidth for iteration & innovation
- Attend standups, planning meetings, & retros to support the Custody engineering team where needed
- Work closely with Technical Program Managers to unblock or drive all phases of the software development cycle
- Develop the success metrics for your area of the product & the tracking plan to support it; understand & communicate how the work that youre prioritizing is helping drive those metrics
What were looking for
- Product management experience at a financial services or financial technology company with a focus on back-end systems & applications preferred
- Knowledge in custody, money movements, & broader broker-dealer functions preferred
- Strong analytical abilities with a passion for data inspired decision making
- Self-starter & demonstrated success at communicating, prioritizing, & balancing needs cross-functionally
- Obsessive attention to detail & strong organization skills in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to build strong relationships across functions within an organization
- Creative problem solving skills that balance the regulatory realities & innovation
- Ability to think abstractly about back-end builds & how that will translate into a customer experience
- Be able to construct narratives that help the organization see the long term vision of the platform
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, & ourselvesand we wont stop until we reach them. We dont just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes & strive to uphold our supportive & inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, & vision insurance; life & AD&D insurance; STD & LTD benefits, including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; & generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own & lead change & affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
Well take a few weeks to review all applications. If wed like to spend more time with you, well reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, & our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email email@example.com.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.